Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any p226 models good for USPSA competition?

1eyedfatman

Make sure to swap the magwell grips for regular length grips. The magwell grips are illegal in Production.

The release of the Legion series next week is great news since it should make a bunch of quality GGI trigger parts Production legal. http://www.osagecountyguns.com/blog/news/sig-sauer/sig-sauer-p226-p229-legion-series/

Once they are added to the Production list, of course. ;)

Seriously, though, I've been waiting over a year for this. I've wanted to try the internal overtravel stop, but couldn't use it on my Allround because of the intermediate trigger profile.

Ouch, that magwell grip will keep it from being on the production list, but does the 226 have it? From the SIG Legion site it really only looks like the 229 has grips that extend down past the frame. Here's hoping, I have my 226 with the intermediate trigger and SRT that I would love to use, and I would also pull that reduced slide stop lever over as well.

Neither of the Legion series pistols have magwell grips. They extend slightly past the frame, but they are standard G-10 grips. Magwell grips extend significantly past the frame and actually form a flared magwell.

Here is a TacOps:

E26R-9-TACOPS-LARGE_zpskc2bzzim.jpg

Here is a Legion:

sig-p226-legion-9mm_zpsd7knmxsq.jpg

The Legion grips, both 229 and 226, are fine for Production. This statement in the Production approved list keeps the TacOps from playing:

No models allowed with Blackwater custom magwell grips, or others that extend down to form magwells.

Having said that, changing grips is completely legal. If you swap the grips on a TacOps to regular P226 grips and use standard length magazines, you have a 226 Elite with a TFO front sight. Personally, I think they should have just stated that magwell grips are not allowed rather than saying that models with those grips are not allowed.

For comparison on the 229 grips, here is a standard P229 (that's already on the Production list):

E29R-9-BSS-LARGE_zpsgxi7mst7.jpg

And here's a Legion 229:

e29r-9-legion-04_zpswzjmsjiq.jpg

The 229 grips do extend slightly farther than the 226, but the Legion and the standard are the same length, so there should be no problems getting either of the new models on the list.

• 9 months later...

The E2 grips are a great idea that allows a slightly higher grip. The issue for me is that it shortens the distance from the center of my hand to the trigger, making an already deep pull even deeper. Also, getting those grips clean is a bear after a match. Never seen so much skin in a grip...

• 1 month later...