Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
GunBugBit

What Was Your First 1911 Part To Fail In A Match?

I don't know that I have ever had a part break in a match. I did buy a dawson mag catch with a thumb button and despite cleaning the threads religiously and using loctite, it kept coming loose. They finally sent me a new mag button and it's been fine since. I have also lost the fiber optic from my front sight a few times, but I highly doubt that had any bearing on my match performance.

All of my 19/2011s have their original extractors. I'm not saying I don't believe the people who say they are failure prone, or that aftecs are a good idea in 9/40 guns, etc., but I have not had a lick of trouble with any of mine. I've only been shooting for 11 years though, so maybe I'm an inch away from a major extractor failure.

From what I gather, if extractors are of high quality and fit correctly, they will last a very long time. Another variable is how the owner treats the gun.

Just recently had a slide stop break. It sheared right where it passed through the barrel link. i didnt notice it till 2 days after the match. Guess that explains a few of my strange malfunctions I had.

Hello

Do you havea picture of that SS breakage?

I did till last night. I was cleaning my pics up and believe I deleted it. I will check to see if I still have the part

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ef8dec7a0ad10fce361bbbe09a2e1ba2.jpg

Found a copy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Did not get a good grip and grip safety worked - ever since pinned or little arm cut off.

It had a few rounds through the gun it was in.

I had a factory STI sear give way in the middle of a match, allowing the hammer to follow. Turns out wear caused it to lose the correct angle in relation to the hammer hooks. A replacement sear fixed the problem.

Slide stop broke off the ledge. Rear sight on Gold cup had pin fall out. Fibre Optic front fell out. Magazines fail.

I had a rear sight on my Valor that obviously wasn't loc-tite'd. In an IDPA classifier I had it finally break loose and start to drift, right before the 3rd stage with the 20 yd shots.

The elevation screw of my adjustable rear sight on the STI broke in half suddenly. Thanks to the guys in STI, they sent me replacement after a few weeks.

Fibre optic flew off twice in a match.

My first part broken was my Brazos microdot front sight. The back half broke off. I still had the front post to continue the match with, so that's a good thing. I have also had my extractor break during a match but keep one in my range bag, so it was quickly remedied.

When you shoot a lot, expect parts to break.

Barrel link...luckily enough a mate lent me his Edge to finish the match..squeezed in third place with half a (short) stage missing....

I had just switched from a Glock 35 to an Edge which only had about 2000 rounds through it - was not too impressed to say the least....

I suspect that the fact that it was a match had something to do with it...Murphy's law and all that :surprise:

This morning, my Kensight rear sight came apart as I was shooting a USPSA stage. I found the notch portion of the sight on the ground, and Tim Graves found the tiny spring that goes along with it. Thanks Tim!

The only failure so far is the barrel link busted. Even had a crack in the web between the holes.

I have seen at matches,

slide stop pins break in half

barrel links break at the slide stop pin

rear sight elevation screws break

extractors hooks chip off

I have matching USPSA single stack pistols in 45 and 9mm. The back up has come in useful, once so far.

Not exactly a match.

Shooting for qualification on the combat range at Ft. Stewart.

Extractor broke.

Luckily, I was near the end and had already qualified expert, so let it go.

Hoping for a perfect score, but that wan't to happen.