Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shelf 1911s vs Glock based Pistols

Financially its going to get worse. Cars, clothing, food (eating like crazy), electrical bills, college, books, and it never stops. BUT.....its worth it.

And get used to these words at a match....."Got anything else for sale?"

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started with Glocks 15 years ago.  Moved to SS/L10 with 1911's.  Took 8 years off and now back in with a pair of STI's and loving it.  Sure they need more care than a Glock but just feel's right with a 1911/2011 platform.

• 4 months later...

I'm currently debating this idea as well, I'm thinking I could build a "budget" 35 or 22 with a Taylor Freelance with minimal investment for limited and be competitive.  Then I think I should buy once cry once and never wonder if my equipment was limiting my performance as I get better.  I'm now thinking a CZ might be a more friendly option on my bank account.

• 10 months later...

Ask Bob Vogel. Others have gone from Glock to 2011's, but good is good. Something to be said about the shooter who can out shoot the gun he currently owns and needs to upgrade, versus never growing into the fancier gun that was purchased right off the bat.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to say that a really good shooter won the Nationals shooting a glock. Just imagine what he could do with a well built 2011! 

A friend once told me, "if your racing a pinto against a corvette, it doesn't matter how good of a driver you are." Guess that was proven wrong at the Nationals. Maybe it's the old tortoise and the hare.

On 11/7/2017 at 4:11 AM, Boudreaux78 said:

I would have to say that a really good shooter won the Nationals shooting a glock. Just imagine what he could do with a well built 2011! 

A friend once told me, "if your racing a pinto against a corvette, it doesn't matter how good of a driver you are." Guess that was proven wrong at the Nationals. Maybe it's the old tortoise and the hare.

Eh not a perfect analogy it's more like a corvette vs. a car that has a corvette engine but not the suspension or tires to really keep it on the road.  You can learn to drive it just as fast maybe but it'll be harder. 

• 3 months later...
On 11/2/2015 at 11:12 PM, jeremy kemlo said:

I will make you all feel better. I have 7 kids. The oldest is 15 and can't wait to drive and the youngest is 2. Free time? I shoot production and it is always fun when the fat guy with 7 kids beats the young guys w stis. It's a no loose situation.

We are going to a jr pheasant hunt in two weeks.

Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Thats pretty cool!

• 6 months later...

Any metal frame gun feels better to shoot than a polymer gun. With that being said, shooting is just fun no matter what you are shooting. Went and shot 22s the other day and had a blast! As long as you are having fun, that’s all that matters!

• 3 weeks later...

I keep thinking my Glock 19 has a nice trigger..... then I get the 1911 out of the safe and feel shame.  That's kinda the problem though, the 1911 sits in a safe and the glock gets used.  Partly because I'm lazy and hate cleaning 1911s , partly because the glock fits a wider variety of my needs.

• 4 weeks later...

When I was younger I shot 5 days a week, 500 rounds a day, 300 through a pistol, 200 through a rifle.  It was all rimfire, but trigger time is trigger time.

Things changed in life and now I am happy if I can make it to the range once a week.

3 minutes ago, Will_M said:

I would have turned into a better shooter if I had shot a $500 gun and spent that other $3000 on ammo and practice.

Sort of.     :surprise:

IFF the practice was good practice.

I used to shoot all the time, before BE, and never seemed to get too much better,

until I started reading some of the better shots here at BE and learned more

about HOW to practice properly.    :cheers:

Someone a long time ago told me something that still rings true. First you have to train and then you have to practice to see if your training worked. Some people like to just practice but it doesn’t work as well if you don’t train. Training is most important, but without practice you will only learn if the training worked at a match. Example: I worked on dry fire reloads with empty mags. Got really fast. Didn’t practice and went to a match. During the match, with bullets in the mags, didn’t seat the mag well and it fell out on the first shot. Live fire practice would’ve revealed my training failures prior to the match. One has to support the other and vis versa.

On 10/31/2018 at 2:07 PM, Boudreaux78 said:

Someone a long time ago told me something that still rings true. First you have to train and then you have to practice to see if your training worked. Some people like to just practice but it doesn’t work as well if you don’t train. Training is most important, but without practice you will only learn if the training worked at a match. Example: I worked on dry fire reloads with empty mags. Got really fast. Didn’t practice and went to a match. During the match, with bullets in the mags, didn’t seat the mag well and it fell out on the first shot. Live fire practice would’ve revealed my training failures prior to the match. One has to support the other and vis versa.

I really like the separation of "training" and "practice."  I fell short of my goals as a professional athlete because I didn't train on my off hours.  The consistent thing I see with professional athletes/musicians/anything is the love and/or dedication to training on their own.  When everyone else is going on dates or partying or sleeping they are doing skill development.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey gents, I know I'm reviving an old thread here. What if you could have a 1911 style trigger on a Glock? How would that change things? I mean a straight pull, linear trigger that you could adjust pre and overtravel, and get to hang around 2-3 pounds. Thoughts?

Hey gents, I know I'm reviving an old thread here. What if you could have a 1911 style trigger on a Glock? How would that change things? I mean a straight pull, linear trigger that you could adjust pre and overtravel, and get to hang around 2-3 pounds. Thoughts?

You cannot make that extra 1/2” of trigger pull disappear. A Glock will always be just a Glock no matter what you do to it. If you think a 1911 would fit your likes better just shoot a 1911

I've spent a lot of time shooting and smithing on both the 1911 and on the Glock. It certainly is possible to reduce the length of pull on a Glock trigger. (See Johnny Glock) Will it ever be in the .020" range like on a tuned 1911? Not without some engineering. But to say that it's impossible is not true at all. My question isn't one of preference of the trigger pull, I think that's a given for most folks. The question is how would the perception of shooting and competing with a Glock change with a top shelf trigger?

• 4 weeks later...

I shot a Glock at matches for six months after three and a half years of competing with 1911s.  I was surprised at how well I was able to do with the Glock.  I was able to go faster with the Glock in some of the Steel Challenge stages, partly owing to soft 9mm loads.  Occasionally I would struggle with the Glock where finer precision was called for on Texas Stars at distance or high disaster factor paper arrays, but overall felt like my shooting was on the same level as with the 1911.  I did enjoy not having to change mags much (was shooting Limited with 22-round mags).

Now I'm returning to the 1911, but with soft 9mm loads rather than .45 major.  I'm sure I'm going to love it.

Everything I want other handguns to be, the 1911 already is.  At the end of the day, it's still the King of Pistols.  

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:08 PM, Limitless13 said:

I've spent a lot of time shooting and smithing on both the 1911 and on the Glock. It certainly is possible to reduce the length of pull on a Glock trigger. (See Johnny Glock) Will it ever be in the .020" range like on a tuned 1911? Not without some engineering. But to say that it's impossible is not true at all. My question isn't one of preference of the trigger pull, I think that's a given for most folks. The question is how would the perception of shooting and competing with a Glock change with a top shelf trigger?

If this ever happens, it will be a game changer.  I've had some really nice custom Glock triggers and none of them can touch a medium/fair 1911 trigger. 

Lots of things have happened since I started this thread.  I'm back to shooting 1911s.  High quality, yet much more affordable Cheely Custom Gunworks pistols.  I morphed into some IDPA and then onto 3gun.  But thanks to the weather, my kiddo and my job (became a UAS pilot in the Rangers) I have not been able to shoot a 3gun match yet this year.