Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feeding problems w/full mag

texasref

I'm shooting a RO in 9mm, and the first round in a full mag almost always nose-dives and fails to feed. Once it's manually cleared the rest seem to run on thru.

Also with any rounds in the mag I have to literally pull it out of the magwell to drop the mag. If the mag is empty it drops right out.

These are SA mags.

Loading 147 rn with 2.5 grns Tightgroup at 1.165 oal.

I have put a 10 lb recoil spring in which seems better than the 8 lb I was running. I thought that was the answer but it was not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First, all rounds coming out of the magazine nose dive. The first round comes out lowest while the last round comes out highest. Just the nature of the beast. Most often the problem you're expereincing can be traced to the frame feed ramp not extending far enough down to catch that first round. The frame feed ramp should extend downward nearly to the bottom of the slide stop cutout. Measuring from the top of the frame rails, the feed ramp should be .420" below the rails. You can usually get away with less but .420" is the objective.

Rather than having a 'smith lengthen the feed ramp, you can try an EGW higher mag catch which will hold the magazine higher in the frame and, hopefully, get the first round high enough to impact the feed ramp.

If you replace your mag catch with the EGW, check to be sure it doesn't cause the mags to impact the underside of the ejector. If it does, you'll have to carefully file away the contact area on the ejector.

As for having to tug a loaded magazine out of the pistol, it could be a couple of things. The magazine tube may be "swelling" at the top from the pressure of the rounds being pushed up against the feed lips. Simple diagnostic is to remove the slide and mag catch. Then slowly insert and remove an empty mag to feel for any dragging. Then fill the mag and repeat the test. Alternately, you can simply whip out the calipers and measure the top of a loaded and unloaded magazine to note any dimensional difference.

The slide stop lug may be pressing against the side of the bullet although I would expect this condition to result in misfeeds which you did not report. Still, look carefully at the lug to determine if it is contacting the bullet. While the slide is still off the frame insert the slide stop and slowly insert a loaded mag to observe the relationship between the slide stop lug and the rounds. You could also simply examine the slide stop lug for copper smears which would indicate bullet contact. If there is contact, you'll have to slowly and carefully file the contact point away. Be advised, if you file too much of the lug away, it will not contact the magazine follower and the slide will not lock back on an empty mag.

Another thing is the top round can be dragged forward a bit by the preceeding round as it is fed. That top round may be making contact with the frame. SImple to diagnose. With a fully assembled pistol and a full mag locked in place rack the slide to load the first round. Place the safety on so you don't put a hole in something that wouldn't benefit from it. Push the magazine catch in s-l-o-w-l-y to release the mag. Some mag catches are not relieved properly and you can actually push it in far enough to pinch the mag on the left side thus preventing it from falling free.

Edited by Steve in Allentown PA

I had similar issues with my recent build. I put together a 1911 in 40. I had several problems. One was the slide stop hitting the bullet, this was making the nose dive worse. So I clearance the slide stop, actually took to much off, then had to add some back. I fixed that problem. The other issue was the feed ramp overhung into the mag well. So there was a sharp edge that bullets could catch on. Usually only the first or second round when loading my 10mm tripp mags to 10 round. Loading to longer OAL made for less nose dives (I went to 1.205). Then I filed the ramp back to the edge of the magwell, and gave it a round edge. This helped even more. With major loads at 1.205 I had no more issues, running a 13# spring. I did still have issues with minor loads and a 9# spring. I worked on the transition of the feed ramp a bit, instead of a flat wall I blended it some. This helped some, but I still have issues with about every other 1st round with I use low power loads and a 9# spring. I order some heavier springs, and I am going to try some progressive/variable rate springs. I am pretty sure the first round is dragging on the round below it pulling it down to the frame. With a heavier recoil spring it forces the round up, and the longer OAL doesn't allow it to go as low. If the variable rate springs work as they are advertised it should allow the slide to move back and cycle and then provide more forward force. I am also considering a weaker hammer spring to help with slide speed.

I'm reminded by the posts from the other guys that your barrel is ramped so there is no frame feed ramp. This means there is no option to recut the frame feed ramp to the proper depth. The ramps on these barrels rarely, if ever, extend far enough down into the frame. Cross your fingers that the EGW higher mag catch solves the problem.

I have a 9x23 1911 that had the same problem. I took it to a local 'smith here who is a member of the American Pistolsmith's Guild. He changed the angle of the barrel's feed ramp and I put in a higher mag catch. Problem solved.

Try loading the mag full and let it sit a few days. My 9mm RO was doing the same thing. On mine it seemed I had too much spring pressure in the mag and the top round was being held in so tight it couldn't move. I ended up buying some Dawson's and they work great.

I have a Loaded Target that feeds perfectly with OAL of 1.11", 115g fmj from Metal Form 10 round mags. I haven't needed to do anything feed related for this gun. An EGW angle bored bushing and .200" slide stop tightened up the accuracy and now it shoots as well as any of my 1911 guns (Les Baer .45 and Kimber converted to .40 S&W).

Edit: I also adjusted the extractor and changed a bunch (all) of the small parts and run 17 lb main spring and 9 lb recoil spring with GI recoil system. The only parts original on the gun are frame, slide, barrel, rear sight, extractor, mag catch, firing pin and firing pin spring. None of the changes were feed related, though they didn't hurt.

Edited by robertg5322

I did a bit of research before buying mags for my 9mm 1911. I went with Tripp. The only complaints I saw (which were not many) were that the top bullet wanted to jump out of the mag when removing a non-empty magazine. It seems to me the Tripp mags seem to hold the nose of the bullet up, and it does shoot up and out fairly easily - I figured this would help prevent nosedives which is why I chose them. It seems to be somewhat common with the 9mm 1911s.

I only have 250rds so far but every one has been perfect.

I also noticed that some mags have a spacer in the rear (common tube with a longer bullet) and some mags jam the round all the way to the back. I also wanted a mag with the spacer since there would be less travel to the barrel and therefore less opportunity for nosedive.

But I'm new at all this so take it with a grain of salt :)

Edited by StraightSh00ter