Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The power of suggestion

Sharyn

Back to the power of suggestin...

Just so you don't feel like you are alone...

I watched Todd Jarrett prepare to shoot Stage 3 at the Nationals last year. As he got ready to shoot, he noticed a hole that hadn't been pasted on a No-Shoot that was about 5y away. He pointed it out to the RO's. Sure enough, he found that same NS during his run...nailed it.

That stuck in my mind when I shot the stage the next day...

See the second quote in my sig.... :) The question is - are you paying attention to the hazards, or to the goal?? If you're thinking about what can go wrong... it tends to happen... There used to be one of those inspirational posters that had a golf hole on it, with a huge forced carry of a gorge, with sand everywhere near the green, and water in the gorge, etc. It was a gnarly hole. The poster basically asked what you saw first - the hazards, or the pin??? Too bad they discontinued it... ;)

Regard the COF you were shooting - from the tape, it looks like the RO was interfering before you asked for his help... And, someone needs to thoroughly *BEAT* the course designer. Carrying a prop that large *AND* having to open ports in the wall??? You shouldn't ever *have* to push something open with the muzzle of the gun. That's asking for ADs....

In defense of the RO... he is the nicest, fairest, most respectable RO I know. He's helped me from day 1 and he's assisted me with many gun problems on the range. He knows when I'm in trouble. I don't know how many times I've had to pass my gun off to him during a COF because I couldn't get it running again. If you saw that jam I had on that stage (two live and one empty all crammed up together) you would understand why he knew I was going to need help.

XRe, well... I wouldn't beat the course designer, but you're bringing up the same comments I had before I shot it. I was shooting a borrowed gun that I'd never shot before and just didn't feel right contacting the compensator with anything. See how gentle I was??? ;) You didn't have to push the ports with your gun, you could have kept the prop between your legs like I did in the last array... so long as it didn't touch the ground. :lol:

So after I asked about all that... I said, "Well, what if the gun jams?"... I got to figure that out the hard way... and not just one jam... :blink::D

Ahhh, Flex, I didn't realize the magnitude of my game... I'll have to remember to follow up the "Thank you" with "do I shoot again next or at the bottom of the order?" ;)

In defense of the RO... he is the nicest, fairest, most respectable RO I know.  He's helped me from day 1 and he's assisted me with many gun problems on the range.  He knows when I'm in trouble.  I don't know how many times I've had to pass my gun off to him during a COF because I couldn't get it running again.  If you saw that jam I had on that stage (two live and one empty all crammed up together) you would understand why he knew I was going to need help.

Good people are good to have around, don't get me wrong :) I think Flex and I were examining it from a "by the rules..." standpoint, and not a "it's a local fun match...." type of perspective... Sounds like you have a lot of gun problems :) Ever think about finding a smith that could correct them for you?? :) :) :)

BTW - my wife (Beth) had a reputation for being a "gun breaker" - anything she touched seemed like it would break shortly thereafter.... To the point where the folks I shot with started calling her "Death Re"... :)

XRe, well... I wouldn't beat the course designer, but you're bringing up the same comments I had before I shot it.  I was shooting a borrowed gun that I'd never shot before and just didn't feel right contacting the compensator with anything.  See how gentle I was???  ;)  You didn't have to push the ports with your gun, you could have kept the prop between your legs like I did in the last array... so long as it didn't touch the ground.  :lol:

I wouldn't feel good about doing that w/ *my* gun, let alone a borrowed one! :) Nonetheless, I still have a problem with a course that makes you carry such a bulky, unwieldy prop with you, and operate doors, etc, while you have to carry it. I know it gets done - but usually with a prop that you can throw over a shoulder or otherwise stash. While the challenge is the same for all shooters, and it's up to them to solve it, I see it as a potential safety issue.....

Dave

How?

It's an open invitiation to do the wrong thing by accident. Obviously, the onus is upon the shooter to remain safe at all times. I see these sorts of situations - bulky props that are awkward to handle combined with other physical obstacles such as these - as handing the shooter a lot of rope that they don't need. ie, I see it as asking for problems... Under stress, this adds one more level of complexity that the shooter is trying to negotiate, and leaves one more area to screw up... In this case, why not choose a smaller prop, or one that can be managed in such a way that you could easily carry the prop *and* negotiate the doors in the barricade? Or, leave the doors out of the picture?

Just my opinion.... :)

Ever think about finding a smith that could correct them for you?? :) :) :)

Have you read my signature line? Do you know how I got my GM card in eyelash batting? :lol:

I'm shooting that borrowed gun (the 5th) because my other borrowed gun is at the 'smith after choking at FL Open. Todd Jarrett spent half of the first day with me at the Safe Area.

Derek Janowicz is building me a new one as we speak. ;) I forewarned him of my reputation with guns and he was up for the challenge. :D

Man that video cracks me up! I just love the "Open division - Homegirl style"

:lol:

Under the new green rule book, I think its a now a procedural to use the muzzle or other part of your weapon to open a port-you have to use your hand, foot, face, etc. I'm goofing off at work so I can't quote you chapter and verse.

Find a good pistolsmith. That problem can be cleared up rather easily. It could also be ammo. I advise all shooters to not show up if your gun doesn't work. It breeds and ingrains negativity. The gun should work.

I wouldn't allow shooters to open ports with gun before the green book. I think I would have also not made the shooter carry the prop the entire course

How?

It's an open invitiation to do the wrong thing by accident. Obviously, the onus is upon the shooter to remain safe at all times.

OK, if I was shooting this match I would have objected to the opening of he doors with my gun, but I don't think it is a safety issue. I agree, it is the resposibility of the shooter to make sure they address all the obsticals in a manner that is safe. That is part of the fun. I would hate to see more vanilla stages.

The only dangerous thing I saw was sticking the comped gun in that last barrel :blink: That hurts, were you ok after that Sniper? ;) I cringed just watching it :)

Nice strong hand shooting, especialy with all the jams, it isn't easy keeping focus when that happens. :)

Hey, why don't I just say I was shooting IDPA? I thought I posted in "Match Screw-ups" not "Rules" or "Open Gun Technical". I'm surprised no one has commented on me creeping... or the gutted no-shoot in the barrel... :rolleyes: C'mon, guys!!! This was fun and funny... lighten up! Any time it takes 48 seconds to shoot a stage in Open division, you just have to laugh!!!

I was closer to the barrel than I'd like to be... but I survived. ;)

300lbG... ummm... errr... uhhh... I met Derek Janowicz at FL Open. He's super cool. :D

Open gun in barrel == major concussion - but, as long as there isn't any crap in the barrel, there shouldn't be too much to worry about (though, we have eye protection for a reason !!! :)

It's my fault, I started it all by making comments about the stage design etc ;)

A buddy of mine in Atlanta and I were known to occasionally shoot a stage "homey" style at the weekly indoor match that they have down near the airport, there. It was a good laugh. :)

Shooting El Prez this weekend with Marmot452 - he's on the line between attemps.

I say to him "I noticed that you turn to the right and start on the right target...you're wasting time sweeping past those two targets..."

Timer goes off, he turns to the right, sweeps those two targets then goes back to the first one before shooting - two sweeps before he starts shooting. :huh: What I said popped into his head as the buzzer went off.

Earlier he was shooting this string as part of the IDPA classifier. I had mentioned to him a long time ago that I wondered if you had to engage the T1-T3 in the same order (or any order) as you start - IE. start left to right, reload, left to right again. I thought this was the "right" way to do an El Prez. He almost always shoots T1-T3 in reverse order the second time....this time (because I'm standing there - but didn't say anything about it) he reloads, points to T3 then sweeps to T1 to begin his second run of 2-2-2. I asked him what that was all about and he said "I knew you would say something about shooting them right to left." I had gotten into his head over that issue months ago... :blink:

State match stage with a single steel stop plate - I asked the SO before the run "if you miss the steel you can reload right?"

Naturally, I focused on missing the steel and missed it twice. I had programmed that reload into the end of the stage even before I shot it.