Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yummy Crow

EricS

Crow tastes nothing like chicken. Here's how I know.

So, you know that one guy? The one who is incredibly arrogant while at the same time being completely inept? That guy who picks a fight with the scariest dude in town because he's been watching MMA on TV and "can totally do that?" The guy who challenges Usain Bolt to a 100 yard race and then when he's behind by 4 miles 3 steps out of the blocks pulls up lame and complains that he "may have ruptured his hemoglobin otherwise he'd have totally won?" That Guy? Yeah, apparently I am that guy.

So we're at the range, just testing some stuff and doing a little shooting. Someone suggests the 600 yard target and we all say "Hey, that's a great idea. Why don't we do that." So, off we go.

Now, I should tell you that I brought my iron sighted M1A along for giggles. There is also a Marine combat veteran present whom I won't name. Suddenly I decide, for no particular or logical reason I can think of, to challenge said combat veteran Marine to a long range, iron sight shooting challenge. Cause there's NO WAY anything bad can come of that. Right?

So I get behind said rifle and after a few (a few being more than 5 and less than 10. Don't judge me.) "spotters" am able to ring the 18x24 target. I do the Dance of Joy and smugly hand over the rifle, certain in my That Guy Douche-Bagginess that there's NO WAY he can do better. Heck, he might not even hit it at all. Easy Win! I am so Awesome!

See? That Guy.

So The Marine settles in behind the rifle, still as a hillbilly's Revenue Producer (See what I did there? Aren't I clever?). And promptly hits the damn target on His First shot! I almost said first try but apparently for Combat Marines there is no try. There is only pain and humiliation for your crushed enemies and scorn for their torn and bleeding bodies.

He didn't even gloat though the merest glimmer of a ghost of a smile may have escaped past his Beard Of Extreme Competence.

So. I am currently at the Kentucky Fried Crow outlet ordering my next meal. I'm sure it will be scrumptious.

"Extra crispy please and can I get the the crushing defeat on the side with some of that sweet and sour bile sauce? Thanks."

Mmmmmm. Can't wait to dig in.

They say "Pride goeth before the fall". I believe it's also true:

"Arrogance goeth before humiliation". At least you can take a self inflicted ass-kickin'

and still smile about it. :goof:

Edited by open17

Having been on both sides of that sort of contest, I can attest to the fact that it's better to watch someone eat crow than to be the one doing the eating. And here's how to do it all by yourself...

The first day at a long range class, the instructor had set up sticks at 200yd with tangerines on them (not a particularly hard shot). On the go signal, you had to go to your rifle (about 6 ft ahead of you), get into position, load, find the stick with your number, hit the tangerine. Got mine almost immediately, first shot. First to stand up, smiling. After several minutes went by those of us who had gotten theirs were asked to take out any remaining targets. Back on the rifle and couldn't hit a darn thing. Win some, lose some.

• 1 month later...