Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 ICORE International Postal Match

The 2015 Postal Match should be available for download on the ICORE web site in the next few days.

Similar format to last time, runs 1st August to 31st of December.

Why not give it a try this year. All the info is in the match package download.

Regards

PK

• 2 weeks later...

6 round neutral is not why these stages are they way they are. The postal match was designed to be easy to set up and shoot, including at indoor ranges. I think they could have been more creative in designing the stages. That having been said, I guarantee the people who are the best at running around and shooting things, or shooting classifiers, or shooting strong and weak hand only at matches are also going to be the best at the postal match. It can take a surprising amount of effort to set up the exact same stage, nevermind trying to get multiple people to do it correctly at different clubs.

6 round neutral is not why these stages are they way they are. The postal match was designed to be easy to set up and shoot, including at indoor ranges. I think they could have been more creative in designing the stages. That having been said, I guarantee the people who are the best at running around and shooting things, or shooting classifiers, or shooting strong and weak hand only at matches are also going to be the best at the postal match. It can take a surprising amount of effort to set up the exact same stage, nevermind trying to get multiple people to do it correctly at different clubs.

Yeah they just setup 6 shot arrays by accident.

The galling thing is that we have a board running this sport and no one told the stage designer that this was unacceptable. There is no defense for stages like this.

You should run for the board and help them out. ?

What's the problem with the stages?

They are repetitive!

The first 3 stages are not far removed from shooting the same stage 3 times. Stage 4 does throw in x-count plus strong hand and weak hand but still has similar distances and target presentations.

Stages 1 and 2 are almost identical . Stage 1 is 6 shots from 5 fixed locations and stage 2 is 6 shots from 6 fixed locations. Stage 1 starts at 15m and works forward to 3m while stage 2 starts at 15m and works forward to 4m. Stage 1 shoots 2 targets 3 times at each location and stage 2 shoots 3 targets 2 times at each location. Stage 3 is essentially stage 1 with 2 fewer positions and moving only in a straight line but with the big change of shooting targets that are not next to each other.

All stages have the same "look and feel": target heights are identical and are one target per stand, all stages shoot over the same distances, all are stand and shoot (15 positions with 6 shots each, 1 with 12 shots and 1 with 18 shots). I understand that these stage must work for ranges of varying capabilities but that doesn't rule out some variety. Change stage 2 to use only boxes E and F and run 3 strings, start stage 3 at the front box and move back, make it a fun match - not just an easy to set up match.

Edited by bdpaz

The galling thing is that we have a board running this sport and no one told the stage designer that this was unacceptable. There is no defense for stages like this.

You should run for the board and help them out.

Good idea! I do loathe meetings though. A dictatorship might work better. Or I could pay my dues and continue to provide feedback when I think the organization could be improved.

OK ... I was getting all jacked up thinking back to last year ... but then I read the introduction in this package and it explains why the stages are similar (so they can all be created on one bay with a minimal amount of effort ... while all your folks are waiting to shoot the next stage... etc ...).

Sooooooooo ... is OK ... makes sense I guess. Have to appreciate the effort to produce/present something like this and feedback is feedback ... nothing wrong with that!!

I thought I saw a "saved" reload for 8 shots when looking initially but I got that all wrong. (can't read) ...

edit: never mind ...

Edited by pete627

...I thought I saw a "saved" reload for 8 shots when looking initially but I got that all wrong as each box on those stages turned out to be separate strings (need to look at that carefully again ... sigh)....

I missed that also. So I will say that stage 4 is different from the other 3.

...I thought I saw a "saved" reload for 8 shots when looking initially but I got that all wrong as each box on those stages turned out to be separate strings (need to look at that carefully again ... sigh)....

I blew it ... got too excited looking for a reason to bring the 627.

edit: with all this "6 round" stuff going on ... I am afraid my 627 will become a USPSA gun only ... (I think a 6 round moon clip gun ... especially one with 45acp is going to be a lot easier to reload than the 8 rounders). Plus ... even at 600 fps my loads will be way over required PF. I own a model 10 too ... if TK cut it for clips it would save picking up a pile of brass every stage ... plus I could go to the line with more ammo!!

Edited by pete627

You didn't miss it ... I got it wrong ... I kept reading that thing and thinking we were shooting t1-t6 with 3 rounds each (18 rounds) leaving 6 on the clip stepping into box B ... but read again and it says put three in T1 "AND" T6 ... (only 6 rounds) ... I blew it.

No, I think you are sorta right. Stage 4 is three strings (which is what I missed) but string 1 is T1 thru T6 with 3 rounds each. I think you are mixing in part of the stage 3 instructions.

Edited by bdpaz

If you don't think an 8 shot is an advantage in icore I'm going out on a limb and say you don't shoot regional matches.

If you mean me ... no ... I don't think that at all. What I meant was if the ... "I'm going out of my way to make everything 6" ... is destined to become the new "normal" for ICORE stage design (for whatever reason) .... then ... there would be no need to have 8 (other than to cover a misfire I guess or a plate rack; texas star etc).

I may have missed it here as I mis-read the stages several times already but I don't see a great benefit here (the postal match) to bring an 8 shot revolver.

For "regular" matches ... I personally think limited 6 would not be such a bad idea if that were the alternative to having to mesh all limited into one group and constantly worrying that we were maintaining a level playing field.

edit: but then ... what about the 7 shot guys/girls ... there would be no end to this. I apologize ... I am making light and you guys are being serious trying to make this work.

Edited by pete627

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When you run a Postal Match it is hard and cumbersum to measure out 4 stages so that it is the same for all the matches shot. Chris Comer noticed that the match set up for the first stage was constant for the entire match. Just move ,change shooting positions and drop targets from one stage to another. It does not matter if you have a crew that will do all the stuff for you but if it is set up by two people for two people it works smoothly. Thanx Postal Guy!!!