Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2 Owners

Gun Geek

I have another post talking about problems fitting a DMW mag extension collar.

Problem is that my OEM mag tube is larger than the tube on another Benelli (1.090" vs 1.080") and the collar made by DMW won't work. That collar is about 0.005" smaller than the stock end cap.

Well, I talked to DMW today, and we don't know if this is a real change made by Benelli or something strange with my gun. So, I'm asking your help.

If you have an M2 or an SBEII and a dail caliper, unscrew the end cap on the forearm and measure across the threads and report back. As I said above, we're looking to see measurements in the 1.080 to 1.090 range.

Thanks!

Here's an update:

I had a chance to do a little testing here in town. Good excuse to visit the local gun shops!

My sample was 10 Benellis of various manufacture - older SBEs, SBEIIs (cammo & black), M1's, M2's. It is not very scientific, I couldn't find a pattern.

Of the 10, the DMW collar would not fit on 6 of them. On 3 of them I could have twisted a little harder and I think it would have gone, but considering these were not my guns...

When I measured the mag tubes, they were all between 1.080" and 1.090". The ones less than 1.083" seemed to work fine. Between 1.083" and 1.086" they were tight. Above that and it was a no go.

I have talked to Dave of DMW (and emailed a couple of times). He is aware of the situation and said he should have a fix in the next couple of weeks.

Got the below from Benelli. Pretty much says my gun is in tolerance.

As I said above, Dave is working on a fix.

This is input from the head gunsmith. Hope this helps.

I measured several tubes on guns and here in the shop and they range from 1.083 to 1.089 part of the problem with aftermarket parts is that they do not have factory tolerances to base their specs on.  I suggest he contact the company that makes the extension or take it to a gunsmith to have him fit it.

For future customer service questions or inquires, please visit this website http://www.benelliusa.com/customer-service/contact.tpl , click on your state to send an email or you may call 301-283-6981. I am always happy to help but typically deal with repair issues/problems.

Thank you for your interest in our products.

Benelli USA

Customer Support

Can you ghost load the M2?

I think that you can, but you have to changes some stuff on the bolt. I think There is a notch or something on the bottom that you have to fill in. I've got some instructions on how to do it with JB Weld. But that has to be replaced at some point - it flakes off. I don't like the idea of that flaking off into the action and Murphy will ensure that the ghost load feature will crap out in the middle of a match.

You still need a mag tube extension (the Benelli factory version would work, it gives you 8+gohost is 9). However I had one on order for 6 months (with the standard "next week" promise. None of the local shops have them and when I looked around on line - Brownell's etc, were out of stock. I gave up on that option. That's when I discovered the DMW model. It gives you 9 in the gun, so you don't have to alter the bolt.

I take it the tube's thread is the same with the M1 and M2?

The tube thread and diameter are the same on the M1, M2, SBE, SBEII, within the tolerances discussed above. The same mag extension fits on all of the models. It may be the same on others, but I haven't examined others.

Benny,

So i'm guessing that you are going to continue shooting the M2 over the M1.

How does the recoil of the M2 compare to a Remington?

THANKS!!

Kurt Miller & some others shot my M2 after the match & said it was the flattest & shoftest benelli they have shot. Mine has everything includeing the lightened bolt & welded up for the ghost load.