Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Washing shotgun hulls

Cosby

I have a large quantity of AAs that have only been fired 1x or 2x but they are really nasty dirty. Has anyone tried washing hulls? If so, how did you wash them and maybe more importantly, how did you dry them?

Buy a Dillon Large media separator. Fill the tub with soapy water and rotate. Rinse and spin dry similarly. I've done it with muddy 308 brass that I just couldn't afford to leave lying. Works like a champ.

Thanks Eric, I have a Dillon media separator. I was hoping for less effort (always looking for the easy way out). Was really wondering if anyone had washed them in the dishwasher or a washing machine.

I'd wash my shotgun hulls in *your* washing machine. Don't think I'd ever defile my own that way. The problem is the rims. Most of them are brass-plated steel now and would just beat the crap out of your porcelain tub.

Get a mesh bag like those used for potatoes or other bulky heavy crops. Take the hulls and the bag to the quarter car wash. You probalby don't even need soap, just the hot water rinse. Then spread them in the sun. I trust you won't do this in NYC or some such place where the SWAT team will call Homeland Security on your butt.

Have you thought of maybe tumbling them in your tumbler? I've done this in the past but it really made no difference. The brass bases got really shiny though. The gun didn't care. Really dirty after 2 firings? What did you load them with? BP? Mine start to get pretty grungy after 4 or 5 firings, I just keep loading them till they split then I chuck em.

Vince

Put them in a big trash can, add some dawn dishwashing soap, and spray off with a high pressure tip hose. Stir with a 2x4, drain and rinse.

Better than the bathtub or washing machine bit.

Be sure to completely air dry them in the sun. The back lawn and an old blanket work well.

Tumblers with corncob media tend to remove the "slipperyness" of AA and STS hulls.

Forget the water you pistoleros. I reloaded 10,000 rounds through my MEC 9000 G one season and after that went to shooting rimfire silhouette - (no damn reloading). By the way, these days with the G34 I shoot blazers and let 'em fall.

The problem with water is that it can get between the brass and the plastic hull. At least AAs are a one piece plastic hull, but some of that other junk out there has permanent paper bases and that would really screw up the cheap stuff.

This has been bantered about on the sporting clay boards more than a couple of times and continued response is to forget the water. If you want to go a head and tumble them in a media in your tumbler that would be cool. Personally I might take the mesh bag and instead of water use an air compressor and just blow the hell out of them with air. If you want to wipe them with a cloth that would be OK too. I'm more worried about the chamber of my gun than hulls. Knock that grit off of them, but I would pass on the water my friend.

Rick

i've done it before....i resized them first so the shell wouldn't hold water...sort of made a mess in my sizer because mine were really dirty (But

FREE)used a little brake cleaner and washed the sizer on my mec out....i put them in a mess bag that the dry cleaners uses to keep your junk separate from everybody elses...and washed them....i then spread them out and let them dry....looked like new....D I C K

PS.... Wife was out of town

When I reloaded shoatgun ammo, I use to clean off the outside, but never worried about the inside....loaded them till they wouldn't crimp properly and then trashed them...never had a problem....

Forget about washing them...