Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CE ProChrono Digital and low battery indicators

On the battery issues with the CE chronograph, how does it normally manifest? I was using mine the other day, probably around 10 AM CST (bright sunny day) and it missed one or two shots over a session of probably 90 work up loads (I did fire some at left and right side bullseyes on a splatter target to not have to change target between each load). Battery seemed to be good with the old touch tongue test - so i am wondering if they were just far enough to right or left to not read, sun was too bright, or battery was weak... No errors displayed on laptop or screen, just a 10 shot group and only 9 readings. Thoughts?

An assumption I made was that as long as it goes inside of the post for the sunscreens it should read - that very well could be a false assumption!

I guess an easy test is to change the battery, which I am planning on tomorrow when I go out, just curious as to what others have seen and learned...

I'll have to say for the price of this chronograph (and data hookup to laptop) it is one of the best tools I have purchased in a long time!

Not claiming to be an expert but I think the poles are solely there to hold the screens and don't designate anything beyond that though I know some folks put electrical tape to designate a best height range to aim through. Best practice would be to send it directly down the middle.

Edited by jkrispies

Not claiming to be an expert but I think the poles are solely there to hold the screens and don't designate anything beyond that though I know some folks put electrical tape to designate a best height range to aim through. Best practice would be to send it directly down the middle.

The rods are there to hold the sunscreens, but I believe they also serve as a guide as to where you need to shoot, the closer to centered over the eyes the better. Too far left or right of center and you risk them not picking up the projectile, too high and you increase risk of no reading, too low and you risk.....well, many of you know what happens then.

:goof:

What bullets are you shooting? The reflectivity of the bullet can have an effect on the reading. FMJ vs black coated for example.

Bullets were 9mm Hornady 147 XTPs. I imagine I was too high or to far to the side, it always got the group on the dead center bullseye. My understanding was that when the battery gets weak you tend to get wildly erratic readings, not missed shots.

What bullets are you shooting? The reflectivity of the bullet can have an effect on the reading. FMJ vs black coated for example.

Bullets were 9mm Hornady 147 XTPs. I imagine I was too high or to far to the side, it always got the group on the dead center bullseye. My understanding was that when the battery gets weak you tend to get wildly erratic readings, not missed shots.

I had an old Shooting Chrony that did this when the battery got too low. Probably typical of all chronographs.

Just put a new battery in it and repeat?

Planning on it when I head out in the morning. I was just wondering other experiences, if it was missed shots, erratic values, etc when battery is not up to snuff. Heck, I've never looked at the units screen, I alway hook up to PC - it would be funny if it has a battery level indicator!

Edited by cwall64

Worked perfect today with new battery. Unfortunately the conditions were perfect for the chrono though - 9 AM and partially cloudy, not a completely sunny day like last weekend! So, maybe not the best test...