Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripod mounts?

yellowfin

My last range trip with my dad made a strong case for a tripod setup for rifles. He's a bit of an odd height for our club benches so a bipod was too tall, bags were difficult, prone might have been uncomfortable, etc. but had I had a tripod to raise up to eye level for him it would have been just right. He would shoot a LOT more if he could have something comfortable and stable that fits him. I see that there's a LaRue mount that is pretty much exactly what would fit the task--except the price is rather painful given that it specifies only working with a very high priced tripod ball head. Are there any others besides them that do the same thing without such a costly total package? Or is this the one and only? Either way, anyone have much experience with tripod shooting?

Hog or Pig Saddles are the best. Also get a decent ball head and tripod. Going cheap is going to cost you more in the long run. I own the pig saddle, sitting on a Manfrotto ball head and tripod. Yes, it cost some money, but in the long run it was worth it. I found good deals on the last two through ebay and amazon.

Doesn't have to be a manfrotto to do what you want though. Could be accomplished with a Slik tripod and appropriate head for saddle. You can also thread a quick attach plate into one of the lugs on a PRI handguard and clip it directly to the tripod.

• 2 weeks later...