Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA legal STI 2011

jjwestbrook

I think the one you linked are the ones I'm actually using, but in black. The ridges on the side match what I'm running.

I may be mistaken, but the EZ have the hole in them for the retainer to pop into just like the stock base pads.

Edit: FYI, Looks like DP has a new website up and running and is offering free shipping if you go through the new site.

Took forever to find but here it is:

https://competitionshooters.com/

• 4 years later...

Bull only barrels are allowed also in 5" and without bushing.
Only coned and/or heavy barrels are not admitted if longer than 4.25" without bushing.

Many producers uses same hole size for all slides undepending on the caliber that will be mounted that is, in many cases, made for the biggest caliber available on a certain model range of guns offered from the producer.
Then they fill the gap (for example when mounting a 9mm barrel, where the hole size on the slide is pre cutted for 45acp) using a bull barrel that means a barrel that extends far away from caliber hole of the barrel to fill properly the slide hole and runs for all the lenght down till cartridge chamber following a parallel axis and not coned.

So in this case a bull barrel is not a heavy (heavier than factory mounted) but a regular and standard barrel for a certain model of gun from that producer. Same apply for a replacement barrel that mantains same specs. If it is not coned, is IDPA legal in this case. Also if it does not have bushing, is IDPA legal in this case.

For example, an SVI Infinity Competition (STI EDGE with short dust cover), with a 9mm, not coned and without bushing bull barrel and also with short dust cover, is perfectly legal for IDPA ESP Division if weight in under 43oz with longest and empty magazine.

Not my words guys, but Robert Ray's words on official IDPA Facebook page, with an extended explanation of why they are not disallowed in one comment/reply from him too, under the main article.
https://m.facebook.com/ShootIDPA/photos/a.199456060131409/1387001568043513/?type=3

8 minutes ago, digilander98 said:

Only coned and/or heavy barrels are not admitted if longer than 4.25" without bushing.

Many producers uses same hole size for all slides undepending on the caliber that will be mounted that is, in many cases, made for the biggest caliber available on a certain model range of guns offered from the producer.
Then they fill the gap (for example when mounting a 9mm barrel, where the hole size on the slide is pre cutted for 45acp) using a bull barrel that means a barrel that extends far away from caliber hole of the barrel to fill properly the slide hole and runs for all the lenght down till cartridge chamber following a parallel axis and not coned.

So in this case a bull barrel is not a heavy (heavier than factory mounted) but a regular and standard barrel for a certain model of gun from that producer. Same apply for a replacement barrel that mantains same specs. If it is not coned, is IDPA legal in this case. Also if it does not have bushing, is IDPA legal in this case.

For example, an SVI Infinity Competition (STI EDGE with short dust cover), with a 9mm, not coned and without bushing bull barrel and also with short dust cover, is perfectly legal for IDPA ESP Division if weight in under 43oz with longest and empty magazine.

Not my words guys, but Robert Ray's words on official IDPA Facebook page, with an extended explanation of why they are not disallowed in one comment/reply from him too, under the main article.
https://m.facebook.com/ShootIDPA/photos/a.199456060131409/1387001568043513/?type=3

This thread is from 2015 (before the new rulebook).

59 minutes ago, digilander98 said:

When it takes that many words to explain one sentence in the rule book you know there are issues. 

I've been told that rule isn't being enforced at all around here, you basically need to pass a "CCW sniff test" which is a unwritten rule that no one has failed yet. 

I file this under reasons to shoot USPSA. 

12 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

When it takes that many words to explain one sentence in the rule book you know there are issues. 

I've been told that rule isn't being enforced at all around here, you basically need to pass a "CCW sniff test" which is a unwritten rule that no one has failed yet. 

I file this under reasons to shoot USPSA. 

Yes i understand your point of view but for many idpa livers this can be a great resource to know and understand what is legal or not during their searches on the internet. They can make same explanations to the so that will check their firearms during competitions and finish competition without any trouble if they know what to say.

7 hours ago, digilander98 said:

And still in 2020, people are confused about that argument and still searching and asking for...better more than less don't you think?

Any confusion comes from IDPA HQ. For many years no one questioned this rule. I think it was when the x5 came out and HQ said it's legal that people realized how silly this rule was.

I emailed HQ and my AC to find out if that meant my 1911 with a "bull" barrel was legal. I was told no, because to the flare at the end of the barrel makes it a "cone". But, now days you may or may not be allowed to shoot a match with a 1911 with a "bull" barrel.  If they didn't constantly change their rulings things would go a lot smoother. 

The easiest thing IDPA could do is just delete that rule from the book. We have a weight limit who cares where the weight is located? Also I'm pretty sure full length dust covers are legal now.

8 hours ago, digilander98 said:

finish competition without any trouble if they know what to say.

This is IDPA's biggest issue right here.

59 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

The easiest thing IDPA could do is just delete that rule from the book. We have a weight limit who cares where the weight is located? Also I'm pretty sure full length dust covers are legal now.

They are now, yes.

The answer is to simply mill a "Wilson Combat" logo into your slide. All of a sudden, everything becomes legal.

3 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

I see very few Wilson guns at IDPA matches around here, so that doesn't really apply.

I should know better than to joke about IDPA rules.

(Though I, too, see very few Wilsons. Far more Wessons in that price range, and Springfields in the lower one. Other than the Wilson Combat team, of course...)

I don't put Dan Wesson in the same price range as Wilson.  

I know some Nighthawk shooters but that skews the statistics since two of them are sponsored.

There was the guy who blew up two Berryville guns but I don't recall which brand. 

4 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

I don't put Dan Wesson in the same price range as Wilson.  

I know some Nighthawk shooters but that skews the statistics since two of them are sponsored.

There was the guy who blew up two Berryville guns but I don't recall which brand. 

Fair. Anyhow, the joke was really about the founder/sponsor of IDPA, not what guns are actually used.