Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Win 540 powder and 40 S&W

Hi folks!

The other day i was thumbing through some load data that I found and it had some data for win 540 for the .40 s&w  180 gr jacketed from 6.2 to 6.9 grains.  Have any of you had any experience with this combination.  The reason I ask is that I have about 6 lbs. of an 8 lb keg that I forgot I had.  Any experience or comments would be great.  ;)

Thanks in advance  

(Edited by Shipster at 1:03 pm on June 19, 2002)

Yeah it totally tied up my gun with 180 moly lead bullets loaded to low/moderate velocity for steel challenge practice loads.

It's probably better loaded hotter. I think I chronographed some jacketed loads but I can't recall the data off the top of my head. I think it was too harsh or to flippy for me at Major velocity.

Thanks Erik:

Do you recall what primers you were using, were they SP or SR primers.  I originally used the powder to load 12 ga phesant loads and used the Fed 209's wich was the hottest primer at the time, to get a clean burn.

Thanks

Check with Olin/Winchester. The 540 was discontinued last year, so use up what ever you have got and get a different powder.

As 540 is a slow burning powder as far as pistols are concerned you will need to get plenty in and get the pressures up. Because it uses a graphite type of coating unless the pressure is reasonable it will fail to combust correctly, therefore leaving a fair amount of heavy black residue, it can also be a little harsh on the throat of a barrel.

I use SuperField for hotter loads and SuperTarget for soft recoiling light loads.

I just got a flier from Hodgdon that they either made 540 for Winchester, or get/got it from whoever made it for Winchester, and sold it as HS-6.

Not "just like" but the same powder.  (Wish I could find the damned letter.)

If you need to continue using 540, verify the info with Hodgdon, and they can keep you going.

Winchester 540 and HS6 are manufactured by Primex, which is part of the ST Marks Powder Co. I think Olin Corp set up SMP when they got a swag of Govt powder contracts. They have a neat web site.

HS6 is less than 1% different from 540. But I have found that the Hodgdon stuff is more consistant batch to batch. This is according to JB Hodgdon who I was lucky to meet with 4 years ago. Nice man and so helpful, knows so much.