Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Machining an integrated comp?

Rudukai13

• 1 year later...
On 2/11/2020 at 12:02 PM, Conductorjd said:

I have a GP100 with a Wichita Compensator and love it but I can’t figure out how to post the picture of it.

How did you manage to make that work? I would imagine the barrels are bit different between the two models. Also, how did you come by the slab comp? The Wichita Arms page is far from user-friendly.

Interesting (to me anyway) tidbit:

In the mid-80s (86 or 87) Jack Wiegand had an article in Handguns mag (I think) about his ported gun. It was a then new Ruger SP 01 or SP101 (I forget which) that had 5 ports down the 2" or 2 1/2" barrel. He brought it to a match and a bunch of us shot it.  Full house Remington 125gr HP (the go-to defense ammo at that time). What a neat gun! Almost no muzzle rise! In fact I think that gun dipped slightly. The weird thing was that all the recoil came back into the web of your hand. It was very accurate. We were hitting an 8" or 10" plate at 50 yards a lot. Nice gun. I believe that he called it a "Hybrid" or something like that. 

The ports work.

The more power the better.

12 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

Interesting (to me anyway) tidbit:

In the mid-80s (86 or 87) Jack Wiegand had an article in Handguns mag (I think) about his ported gun. It was a then new Ruger SP 01 or SP101 (I forget which) that had 5 ports down the 2" or 2 1/2" barrel. He brought it to a match and a bunch of us shot it.  Full house Remington 125gr HP (the go-to defense ammo at that time). What a neat gun! Almost no muzzle rise! In fact I think that gun dipped slightly. The weird thing was that all the recoil came back into the web of your hand. It was very accurate. We were hitting an 8" or 10" plate at 50 yards a lot. Nice gun. I believe that he called it a "Hybrid" or something like that. 

The ports work.

The more power the better.

I've got one of Jack's J frames with the hybrid ports, it does recoil down slightly even with 38 +Ps.

We are selling comps for the 929 and 357x8 V-Comp.  I'm shooting the 357x8 V-Comp with 145g RN-NLG coated bullets in 38 short colt cases with Clays.  About 140 pf so about 900 fps.

I can pull the trigger as fast as I can and my red dot never leaves the paper.  It does wander out of the A zone. II can't shoot accurately that fast, but then I am just a C shooter.

Planning to move to 115g RN-NLG bullets and get closer to the ICORE power factor range.  We'll report on how that goes.  Gearing up for the ICORE AZ this fall.

8 hours ago, PatJones said:

I've got one of Jack's J frames with the hybrid ports, it does recoil down slightly even with 38 +Ps.

Quite a thump on the palm with full house loads. 

All in  all though it is a neat format to shoot.

Now, would I like it in a self defense situation?

Ahh yeah.

And no!

I have often wondered about the S&W Carry comp. Probably much the same. On both ends!