Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

135gr vs 147r whats better?

Superpipe9

I think there will be very little difference. I preferred 124s for general target and competition and 147s for uncalibrated steel that had to get knocked down and pins. If I were only going to load one bullet, I'd compromise on the 135 at around 140PF.

My 9mm had a definite preference for 124s over 115s. If it didn't, I'd load 115s at 132PF for anything USPSA or paper targets or SC and factory 147s @ 144+PF for pins or uncalibrated steel.

I think kneelingatlas touched on a good point.

There are really two criteria here to discuss.

1. Which powder are you using?

2. Whichever round YOU end up liking better.

No one can tell you which one is "better".

In Ben's podcast, Mink talked about the best bullet weights for CZs. He shot 125gr for many years, and recently years he switched to 147gr for the feeling. He said anything from 124gr to 147gr would shoot accurate enough for competition, but real decision is based on shooter's personal preferences. Sounds like the lighter bullets would be more snappier but would shoot flatter, while the heavier bullets will be soft shooting with more lift-ups. Personally I shoot 147gr (but in my MP9s, still waiting for my CZC gun) and I do plan to continue using 147gr with CZs when I get it.

In Ben's podcast, Mink talked about the best bullet weights for CZs. He shot 125gr for many years, and recently years he switched to 147gr for the feeling. He said anything from 124gr to 147gr would shoot accurate enough for competition, but real decision is based on shooter's personal preferences. Sounds like the lighter bullets would be more snappier but would shoot flatter, while the heavier bullets will be soft shooting with more lift-ups. Personally I shoot 147gr (but in my MP9s, still waiting for my CZC gun) and I do plan to continue using 147gr with CZs when I get it.

IIRC, Mink actually stated he preferred the "feel" of other bullet weights but the performance of the 147gr was better for him, so he uses that despite the feel.

I think there will be very little difference. I preferred 124s for general target and competition and 147s for uncalibrated steel that had to get knocked down and pins.

I've heard a couple other people mentioning that they prefer heavier 9mm bullets to calibrate poppers. Why is this?

Shouldn't a 147 loaded to 125PF be the same as a 124 loaded to 125PF when calibrating?

I think there will be very little difference. I preferred 124s for general target and competition and 147s for uncalibrated steel that had to get knocked down and pins.

I've heard a couple other people mentioning that they prefer heavier 9mm bullets to calibrate poppers. Why is this?

Shouldn't a 147 loaded to 125PF be the same as a 124 loaded to 125PF when calibrating?

Bigger slower bullet will have more energy transfer. For the geeks in the crowd, there's more energy in the center of mass reference frame.

I run 125's and they seem to work just fine. I like the feel of 147's better, but I have a ton of 125's so will shoot those for now.

Like Kneelingatlas said, get a few hundred of each and try them out and see what works best for you. That's what i did when I first got my CZ's

d_striker, the energy transfer answer is correct, but only half of the answer. Speed is the second half. When you have to knock a steel target down to activate another target, it takes time to fall. If there are no nearby targets you can shoot while you are waiting for activation, you are just adding to your overall time. If it is a "show once" target, you stand there and wait.

The heavier the bullet, the faster the energy transfer and the faster the target falls. The factory 147gr 9mm load I used to shoot was 144PF. The 180gr 140PF 40 load I now shoot has less energy, but knocks steel down with much more authority and speed.

The same is true for pins. You have to clear the pins and it doesn't count until they hit the ground. There is a reason the 230gr TC bullet is called the pin bullet. My 40 Major load is 180gr @ 172PF. My Major 45 load is 200gr @172. I use both for hostage pin matches, and almost always do better with the 45.