Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
david8989

Starting to load 223 for multigun and I have questions

Thanks for the tips bushmeat. Yeah coming from rifles that print sub 0.5 MOA getting my mind around 1 MOA being enough was tough, lol! I fully intend on trying out the heavies a little later on. I'm kinda working fast and furious to get all my gear and loads ironed out to start competing next week.

Right... That 6.5 creedmoor I've been shooting kinda has the ballistic edge on the .223 i'd say. Lol! That's okay though, finding the right combo for the perfect bullet is part of the fun. Right now i'm just trying to find a solid, affordable, all around bullet that can do everything I need with slightly above average performance. Once I have some more time with fewer irons in the fire I will custom tailor loads for varying distances.

What you have now will be be quite sufficient for more than 95% of the shooting in average 3Gun matches. Don't sweat it too much. Like you said, load some rounds, figure out where they go, go shoot your match and have fun. Maybe after the match you are perfectly happy with rifle ammo, maybe you want something different... Cross that bridge when you get there. MOST IMPORTANT - Enjoy the match!

If you travel to a club that shoots Larue targets at longer ranges(300+yards) the 55 grain bullets will have a hard time making them fall especially if hit low. Larues are heavy and if leaning forward they can be difficult to take down. You really should have some 69gr or heavier bullets in your bag and know where they are going to land on the stadia at any distance or be prepared to be extremely frustrated when the steel doesn't fall.

Copy that RPatton. Maybe i'll just pick up a couple boxes of the factory heavies until I can reload for them, just in case.

Just make sure you have some empirically derived data to KNOW where they will land when you pull the trigger at any given range.

Coming from PRS I am well versed in the application of the long range shot and how to set myself up for its success. It's really the close range, high speed stuff that gives me the most trouble as its something I've never really practiced a lot.