Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non-shooting bonus procedure...

At the ITRC last year, a 50 point penalty (IIRC) per obstacle per team member was assessed for bypassed items on the obstacle course, run during stage 3 prior to engaging targets.

At the Tiger Valley 3Gun match, if you catastrophically failed to retrieve the key on the pistol/shotgun stage, you might end up getting stuck in the "jail cell" and either hit max time (was there one?) with no points and tons of penalties, or get realistically a 20-40 second penalty while you climbed out.

-z

What's the best way to score an optional non-shooting bonus procedure?  Should it count as direct time off, bonus points, or something entirely different?  How would USPSA and International Multi Gun Rules apply to something like this.

Does the "gimick" add to the shooting experience/challenge? If not why do it? I'm up for shooting challenges, but getting bonus points for non-shooting challenges is just silly (had to pick the right word) in my opinion.

It wouldn't be kosher in a USPSA approved match in my understanding of the rules.

Basically we want to give the shooter the option of starting the stage getting tasered (hands on contact surfaces, not darted).

All guns would start staged on tables, so no worries there. Anyone who did it would have to sign a waiver.

I think we'd call the stage "Breaking the Law" or "Ride the Lightning"...

Can I get it again for twice the bonus points?

I think the most likely thing we'd do is anyone who shot the stage would get zero for time, and only penalties added for missed targets.

anyone who declined would get normal time + penalties added scoring.

so sure you'd get double points.... two times zero = zero!

L2S,

The ITRC is not all about the shooting. Dave Lauck calls it "The Proving Ground", and it is designed to punish man, guns and gear, to see what equipment/techniques still work after you've subjected yourself and your gear to dirt, dust, jarring, high volume fire, etc. Whereas IPSC is all about crowning the best shooter, the ITRC is about crowning the best shooters with gear that is field durable, and physically fit enough not to have to walk around each obstacle.

The Ironman, well heck, it's the Ironman! :D

Then why don't they just shoot ya in the knee cap and the first one to shoot the course wins????

Just seems to me that if you're being tased ( is that a word?) you are on the wrong side of the law and shooting your way out of the situtation is not a picture any shooting discipline would want to paint.

Why don't you do it this way you have to chase a BIG guy 200yds and wrestle him to the ground then you can go on and finish the COF............ :D

<gathering up my nomex now>

L2S,

The ITRC is not all about the shooting.  Dave Lauck calls it "The Proving Ground", and it is designed to punish man, guns and gear, to see what equipment/techniques still work after you've subjected yourself and your gear to dirt, dust, jarring, high volume fire, etc.  Whereas IPSC is all about crowning the best shooter, the ITRC is about crowning the best shooters with gear that is field durable, and physically fit enough not to have to walk around each obstacle.

Sorry if I missunderstood the question. I thought he asked how USPSA would deal with getting "bonus points" for doing something other than shooting.

Sounds like a new sport in the making? A cross between IPSC and Most Exreme Ellimination Challenge (that show with the Japanese running up a hill getting hit by foam bolders, knocked off surf boards, and running into brick walls.) :ph34r:

Now that shooting sport would make good TV, especailly with good comentators. :blink:

As for as tasing people at the start of the stage, I wouldn't touch the liability of that one with a 10 foot pole. :) I would pay to watch it though, from a long distance. :P I wouldn't want a freshly tased peson handling a gun around me. :)

How about caning? Give a 2 second per wack bonus? ;)

posted by:  johnhurd

Then why don't they just shoot ya in the knee cap and the first one to shoot the course wins????

Because tasers do no permanent damage, they simply cause a lack of muscle control….once it’s over, it’s over

Just seems to me that if you're being tased ( is that a word?) you are on the wrong side of the law and shooting your way out of the situtation is not a picture any shooting discipline would want to paint.

Tasers are for sale to the general public, and always have been, some have been used by criminals in the comission of crimes.

Law enforcement officers get tasered and maced in the course of their training…if we don’t do this at a public match, I think it would be an interesting element to have at an LE competition.

Posted by Loves2Shoot:

Sorry if I missunderstood the question. I thought he asked how USPSA would deal with getting "bonus points" for doing something other than shooting.

Sounds like a new sport in the making? A cross between IPSC and Most Exreme Ellimination Challenge (that show with the Japanese running up a hill getting hit by foam bolders, knocked off surf boards, and running into brick walls.) 

Now that shooting sport would make good TV, especailly with good comentators. 

Just trying to get ideas in general on the various ways to score a non shooting bonus procedure.

As for as tasing people at the start of the stage, I wouldn't touch the liability of that one with a 10 foot pole.  I would pay to watch it though, from a long distance.  I wouldn't want a freshly tased peson handling a gun around me. 

There is some potential liability, but Taser international regularly tasers several hundred people at events at a time.

I’m not really worried about it effecting someone’s motor skills that much…having been tased, I was impressed with how it immediately stops you from doing anything and you lose control. I was not impressed with the pain level though, as soon as it stops, it’s over.

For your amusement here I am getting tasered: http://www.cavalryarms.com/vids/russell.wmv

Here’s the rest of the guys:

http://www.cavalryarms.com/vids/taser.wmv

sorry the sound is a little out of sync.

Like I said, I doubt we would even wire anyone up…..just have them place their hands on contact plates, as soon as the button was hit they would retract their hands automatically, so they’d get maybe a half second as apposed to 3.