Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CRO Correspondence Course

Shooter Grrl

I took the CRO Class early this month with Jay. Excellent experience!!

Many of the class particiants are section members and have submitted their course designs for our upcoming section match as part of the final exam. No better way to debug stages.

As far as the time limitations, I agree with the USPSA policy. Taking the class is fine but it is a more fulfilling and meaningful experience if you have some practical experience to call upon.

And unless you have put some time in running shooters as a Level 1, concepts and rules are just that. Practical application means so much.

I'm not trying to say that someone couldn't do it and be really good.

I've seen similar situations in my career field. Some kid right out of school pays the money for the crash course in passing a test. Then they get the cert, get a job, and can't do anything useful since they don't have any practical experience or time to learn how to apply concepts or how they are actually used. I'd rather work with someone who has experience then took the test.

I took the CRO course last year with Perry W. as my mentor.

Great experience.

Made me a better RO, and course designer.

If you have the time, you can easily finish it in a couple of weeks.

Say.......DMinor..........how are you and Arnie doing in MO?

Lee

Kathy,

Thanks for the heads up about the Tournament Director course. That looks like exactly what I was looking for. I'm really bad about posting on here and then not looking back to check the follow up posts. Glad I did this time because it looks like this will really help me out.

Thanks,

John

• 4 weeks later...

For those that don't want to wait for the correspondence course, there will be a Level II CRO "classroom" course in Mesa, AZ on June 18th. Perry Wilson is the RMI and there are still plenty of seats available. Stick around for Sunday and shoot the Red Mountain Action Pistol (AZR05) match in the morning before heading back home!

For more details, check out www.riopractical.com or drop me a note, pcarst@cox.net.

Pete Carstensen

• 2 months later...
Way to go Kathy!!!!!!

I can't seem to get my "Field course" on paper the way I see it in my head.... :wacko:

Lots easier to build and design stages "on the fly" at the range !!!! :angry:

SAM

Hey - I like the new avatar :wub: And yes, putting it on paper, with the right dimensions and scale was the HARDEST part of the course! Carl was a saint to put up with me :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Almost two years after Kath got me thinking about the CRO course, I finished it. John Amidon was a saint --- putting up with lots of delays while I hunted for jobs, applied to nursing school, and tried to keep my club match running.....

Oddly enough --- the biggest things I learned was how to be a better range lawyer, and how to draw a better COF. The standing joke is that my stage diagrams only loosely resemble what's actually put on the ground.....