Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What glock magwell?

Shooterben

I want to get a magwell for a glock 34 gen 4. What is the most popular out there? I see there is the Dawson ice, the taran tactical, the zev, the alg, and the Jp. As far as price and quality what is the best? Also, will some not work with specific magazine base pads?

Thank you.

Edited by Shooterben

For carry?Competition? Do you have to make weight?

Not GEN4 Compatible:

ALG

Taran

GEN4 Without backstraps:

JP

ZEV

or cut the backstrap

GEN4 with or without backstrap:

Dawson

I see mainly dawson or zev where i am

Edited by theKenny

I have tried several magwells of my Glock pistols. I am using the Carver Magwell now and very pleased with it. I have one on a G34 & G19. I did do a little wittleing on the G19 but most of you guys know how that is.

http://w.iwebcenters.com/bbenterprise2/ecommerce/custom-magwells-glock-xd-xdm/custom-glock-magwells.cfm

The carver looks nice. I saw the sjc on their website too. Is that too large to be any more of an advantage? Also, on a glock 34 will that be too large for uspsa?

As far as weight. Why would you want more weight?

Edited by Shooterben

The carver looks nice. I saw the sjc on their website too. Is that too large to be any more of an advantage? Also, on a glock 34 will that be too large for uspsa?

As far as weight. Why would you want more weight?

If you put a magwell on and shoot USPSA you are in limited minor. Can't do that in production. And you would want more weight for recoil reduction and balance. It'll help keep the gun more steady.

No it was the rear edges of all the named extensions.

Thanks, I might have to contact SJC. Thinking about that or the zev brass heavy. Debating.... Can you post pictures of where you had to modify them?

What extensions do you use? Taylor's fit no problem. All fit with varying degrees of pressure. Meaning a good smack and they fit.

I wasn't having that. I have the proper burr(cutting tool) for the soft metal, I used my dremel as I thought my air grinder might be harder to control. It went well but as I said a lot of metal removed. If you want pics pm me you email.

I will add I think there is quite a range of tolerances accepted at Glock so each case is a bit different.

I'm using the TTI extended +5 basepads. Currently TTI doesn't make a Gen 4 magwell, but I know its in the works... Idk how heavy it'll be though. I like the weight of the SJC and ZEV heavy brass

Thanks for all the replies. I was reading the uspsa rules and after re-reading a bit I see the differences. I will be shooting limited minor. I think I like the Dawson ice based on the plastic insert, size, and the looks. A glock 34 with the Dawson will be legal in uspsa as far as size right? Are the tti base pads the way to go? Or is there a better option that is less known?

How much does weight matter in a magwell? I.E. 5oz vs 7oz. Would a lighter magwell provide for faster target transitions? Would Heavy magwell dampen felt recoil? What weight would be ideal?

• 2 months later...