Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zev dragonfly slide

triggerman300

I run them on my open class and limited class G34's. Combo it with the best spring for your load and you've really got a fast slide with little recoil or front end dip. Expensive, yes unfortunately, but compared to my STI it's not as bad. But yes, effective.

post-55265-0-70859300-1436633201_thumb.j

Edited by RenoShooter

I shoot a g35 with a Longshot slide. Same as a dragonfly but has serrations on the front of the slide instead of the last set of windows cut in it. I put about 5 to 7 thousand rounds through it.

I like the way it shoots. The recoil was quick and the sights returned to target quick. It has way more felt recoil than a steel frame gun though.

I believe the frame rails on mine are out of spec. I'm not the only one with that issue. I can only run a trigger bar with the rear of the cruciform bent up a little to get proper engagement. Not a big deal to set up but a pain to keep spare parts around. I have to keep a different trigger in my bag for the stock slide than the zev slide. It also makes the striker beat up the safety plunger.

My advice would be to have your OEM slide milled if you want a lightened slide. Or just buy an STI edge.

My Longshot slide is 2 Oz lighter than my OEM g35 slide.

Who's running a zev dragonfly slide and what do you think? Is it worth the money?

I think it depends on what you're going to use it for. I love mine and use it for duty/carry. It dropped the weight of my G17 down to 21 ounces and that is with a mag well and stainless guide rod. They make for a very fast, flat cycling slide. I'd estimate you could build a fully done ZEV Limited gun for $1600ish which would be roughly half of a custom STI. But, no matter how good the trigger is on a Glock, they will never be as good as a decent 1911 trigger.

I have one for a 35 that I use for 3 gun and like it. It is basically a 40minor gun. For me it was a prize table pickup which is why I have it in there and just bought a frame for it. If I wouldn't have won it I wouldn't have spent the money on it

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Bringing back a bit of an old thread, but I've got a question for people running Dragonfly slides in general, but on 34s in particular:
Are you still liking them?
Midway has(or had) them on sale at a price point that would make them run about the same as a factory one, but I'm still not sure if they're worth it.
Specifically, I'm wondering about overall quality, compatibility with different parts, longevity, and balance/feel.
Thinking about doing a 34-length P80 limited blaster, but I haven't decided on all the components(and I am comfortable tweaking parts if needed, just would rather avoid it for peace of mind).

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one of 34 Dragonfly slides Midway was blowing out a little while back. I got the RMR variant for carry optics. I don’t have much time on it to have a strong opinion but my observations are that it is indeed very light, I want to say with the RMR amounted it’s still almost 3oz lighter than stock? I could be mistaken, just off the top of my head. The striker channel liner was a little loose, I replaced it straight away. I built it out with OEM components and didn’t find any compatibility issues. It may feel a little snappier than my OEM slides but I haven’t messed with recoil spring weights to try and tune. So far I would buy again. 

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I am the only one here who prefers an OEM slide.  I have a dragonfly on a 17 and as others have said, it is snappy.  I have tried everything from 10-14lb recoil springs with little to no change in the recoil impulse.  The gun looks amazing, but if I were looking to compete with it the dragonfly would be swapped for the factory slide.  I think this slide would be a winner on a open steel gun or 3 gun open pistol.  

On 2/18/2019 at 6:35 PM, taxil343 said:

I guess I am the only one here who prefers an OEM slide.  I have a dragonfly on a 17 and as others have said, it is snappy.  I have tried everything from 10-14lb recoil springs with little to no change in the recoil impulse.  The gun looks amazing, but if I were looking to compete with it the dragonfly would be swapped for the factory slide.  I think this slide would be a winner on a open steel gun or 3 gun open pistol.  

I prefer stock.

I don't want to delve into it too much, because it will probably hurt feelings, but if you're using a light slide with a certain range of ammo, it will be snappier and recoil more violently.

In the end, go with what works for you!