Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One Powder for 9mm Minor...

ES13Raven

Vit n320 or n310, clean, low recoil/smoke and meters well. On the expensive end, but when you consider over 2000 rounds per pound, price per round is cheap. I use 147 blue bullets.

I use N320, which is also what I use for 40 major. I have heard good things about N310 but have not tried it.

Where is this "only one powder" world people keep coming up with?

Your first choice would probably be: what can you find to use? If you can't find it, it might as well not exist.

My slection would be the powder that gives you the velocity and accuracy YOU want in YOUR pistol with the lightest charge weight.

If I had only one powder for 9x19, it would be Power Pistol (or BE86 or Silhouette, or True Blue).

If I could only have one powder and I only shot or would ever shoot 9mm minor (what a horrible world that would be), I would go with the powder that used the smallest charge weight and had no tendency to pressure spikes.

Assuming you are using a 147gn bullets, Nitro 100 would be my first choice, except it can reach max load before ever reaching 125PF (very low charge weight). 700X would be excellent, but I think it is being discontinued. TiteGroup and Clays would beth be good choices, but not my choices.

Thus, marching to my own beat, my choices from my experience would be Solo 1000, Bullseye, or Red Dot for consistency, accuracy, and being "well-behaved."

However, if I consider loading several cartridges and load levels, 231/HP38 becomes my first choice for light loads in most handguns and I try to NEVER have less than 4 lbs on hand.

One powder that might work, but fails the "low charge weight" factor, would be True Blue. Great at low to heavy charge weights.