Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One Powder for 9mm Minor...

ES13Raven

If I could only have one powder for gamer 9mm minor loads it would be Alliant American Select.

It performs well with all the usual bullet weights (95 to 160gr), is clean, fairly cheap, meters well enough, made in the USA, is fluffy so there is decent case fill, seems to be forgiving and isn't spikey at the upper margins, and is usually one of the more accurate powders in all of the loads I've tried. Works well for 160 grain short colt loads (basically 9mm for revolver), too.

Not saying it is THE best powder for every load, but it covers all of the bases pretty well and if it was the only powder I had for gamer 9mm minor I wouldn't feel like I was handicapped by the powder.

Vit n320 or n310, clean, low recoil/smoke and meters well. On the expensive end, but when you consider over 2000 rounds per pound, price per round is cheap. I use 147 blue bullets.

Perfectly happy with my switch from VV N320 to ETR-7, no complaints, see no reason to change.

I am loading to ~135 PF - seems to drop in Extreme Spread consistency at lower PF's but not an issue at 135. I don't care and could even go higher (138?) because steel / heavy production gun.

Price and availability don't hurt.

:roflol::roflol::roflol: I do have a sufficient quantity and it does everything I want in 9mm and .45ACP (Not Major PF loads). Bob Hodgdon was a year ahead of me in GS and HS but that is the only connection I've got to the powder supplier.

If they do discontinue it in Australia I'll probably try Clay Dot or E3 then.

I always used 4756 in 9 and 38S Major loads but it's now gone, although you can pick up some from individuals now and then.

320. Accurate, meters well, not temperature sensitive, fills a case nicely even at lowish charge rates. With it being, well, elusive lately I've found E3 to be a darn fine replacement.

Another N320 user. However for last 9 months or so have been experimenting with ETR-7. So far so good and gaining confidence in it the more I use it. Seems like it is more consistent at higher velocities (lower SD and ES). I just want to collect more chrono data in different temps/conditions before I use it for a major match.

Right now N320 for matches, ETR-7 for everything else.

For 9 minor I tested ETR-7 at room temp, far hotter than you would likely ever see and far colder than you would be likely willing to shoot and saw ~1% variation in velocity/power factor. 10 rounds at each temp.

Edited by Beastly

I voted for WW231 because that's what I've been using for 20 years - still have some

powder from at least 20 years ago.

BUT, from what I've been reading here for the past 7 years, there are some new

powders that sound very interesting - I'd check into some of them - they're

available for one thing. :cheers:

I'm going to buy some ETR-7 from a buddy to do testing with. Of course I also need to buy another 9mm pistol. I can't believe the only center fire pistol I own right now is a revolver.

That's a good thing, then there could be two of us shooting revolver in Oct SCSC match :goof:

I'm going to buy some ETR-7 from a buddy to do testing with. Of course I also need to buy another 9mm pistol. I can't believe the only center fire pistol I own right now is a revolver.

That's a good thing, then there could be two of us shooting revolver in Oct SCSC match :goof:

:) Mine is only a 5-shot J-frame. If I still had my Model 10 or the 625 we'd be in business.