Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N310 As Replacement for Clays

GBertolet

I am looking at N310 as a substitute for Clays. Solo 1000 and Clay Dot are unobtanium. I see VV N310 more available. How is this powder compared to Clays, in recoil and cleanliness? I know it costs considerably more, but at this point I don't care. Although the Clays line of powder is back in production by ADI, it is to be phased out this year in favor of a new line of powders. I don't know if any of the current production is even being exported from Austrailia to the U.S..

Gary I have used a lot of N310 in 45 with lead bullets. It is very clean and accurate in my guns. I recently switched to N320 just so I would only have to buy one powder for all my 9, 40 and 45 guns.

check out alliant clay dot, if you can find it, it's more or less the same thing as Clays from what i've experimented with.

Read all of OP...

Or at least the 2nd sentence.

Edited by wgj3

check out alliant clay dot, if you can find it, it's more or less the same thing as Clays from what i've experimented with.

Read all of OP...

Or at least the 2nd sentence.

guilty.

glanced right through it.

I have had good luck with e3 in 45. It's fairly cheap and usually available, and 3.8 gr under a 200gr SWC has been my most accurate load out of my HK USP expert. It doesn't meter as well as solo 1000, clay dot or VV310, but does well enough.

I find N310 to be clean burning and very accurate in .45 but the recoil characteristics between it and Clays to be quite different. I was actually surprised by the difference, not what I was expecting. I would be very interested in what you find if you are used to shooting Clays. Please come back and let us know what you think.

Edited by bowenbuilt

• 2 weeks later...

I've used N310 in .45 ACP for several years now, and have no plans to switch. Very clean powder (as all VV's seem to be). It's a little pricier than some of the other options, but hard to beat IMO. As a note on the cleanliness of it, I have Dillon powder hoppers that have never been emptied of some flavor of VV powder since I've had them (several years), and they look brand new still - no discoloration at all. If I dumped them out, you'd have a hard time telling they weren't brand new.

Jut last Sunday I loaded up 25 rounds with 4.0 Clays behind a 200g Acme LSWC, and 25 using 4.0gr of N310 and the same LSWC. They Chrono'd 836 and 829 respectively, so pretty close.

N310 was a bit more accurate, but other than that...

Since I am long on Clays, I will use it and only use the N310 when I need the extra accuracy.

Edited by TDA

• 2 weeks later...

A few days after my original post I was offered some Nobel Sport Vectan BA10 powder. This is a French powder that I believe is relatively new in this country. This is a very fine cut stick powder that I just got the chance to test recently. There is not that much independant loading data out there for the Nobel Sport line of powders. Using a 230 gr cast RN @ 1.250 OAL, and WW LP primers, out of a 5" 1911, I got 3.8 gr = 783fps, 3.7gr= 761fps, and 3.6gr = 745fps. Shot to shot variation was extremely low, often within 5 fps for 5 round strings. I went with the 3.6gr load. Accuracy and POI are similar to Clays, and so is the perceived recoil. I burns just as clean also.

This powder comes in 1.1 pound, (1/2 kilo) cans and is relatively inexpensive compared to N310. The factory compares it's burn rate and performance characteristics to N310.

I mixed seperate magazines of this load, and my old 3.7gr of Clays at a local USPSA match, and could not tell the difference. Looks like I have found a winner.