Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Far will You Drive for a Match?

Here in Northern IL I can shoot 6 matches per month, each at a different club, if I am willing to put in some road time. 90% of these club level matches are within an hour drive, but I might be willing to drive up to 2 hours if I don't have anything else going on, and if the clubs matches are worth the trip.

So how far will you all go to shoot?

Tim

Im in NW Indiana. It looks like I'll be able to hit 3 IPSC matches a month.

1. NPCCC (IN) - http://www.npccc.net/ Just starting to run IPSC in April.

2. Oak Park (IL)

3. BORCC (MI)

Atlanta is a possible 4th but it's 2 hours minimum at I-65 speeds (80-95MPH). :wacko:

Are most of the clubs your talking about in WI. ? I've been to Pine Tree a couple times. Could you list them?

Thanks,

Jim

I go to 6 matches within 20 minutes, three more that are an hour and a half and if I skip one of these regulars to visit another club it's two hours to one and three to another. If I make it to Area 2 this Fall that should be about 1800 miles, figure 3 to 5 days travel depending on how many tourist traps snag my attention. :D

If I wasn't willing to drive 2+ hours I would have one match to shoot.

I do have my limits though. I won't drive 2 hours for a 3 stage match and won't do it consistently for a 4 stage.

I also won't drive very far for a match that has crummy stages and/or bad match management. If I drive for several hours and fire less than 50 rounds over unimaginative stages I won't be coming back. Shot a match a couple years ago where three of the stages should have just been 3 strings on the same stage. Same setup: Box A to Box B, Box B to Box A, Between Box A and Box B. Wasn't a 6 stage match, it was a 4 stage.

On the other hand I'd drive 3 or 4 hours for a well produced match with 5 or 6 well designed, and well run, stages.

On the front range of Colorado (east side of the Rockies for the flatlanders) there are 7 matches each month, of which two are on the same day. 4 of them are with in an hour, and 3 are within 1-1/2 hours. I try to make as many as I can. There are about 3 or 4 other matches within 4 hours, but that is a little far.

I drive 40 minutes to 2 hrs. Depends on the match. I will drive 2 hrs for a good 3 gun match. I have driven over an hour for a 23 round IDPA match.( I have never gone back to that club). I shoot just about every weekend IPSC or IDPA. Trigger time is great.

Back when I was a kid, my dad was stationed in Germany. We used to travel to all over Germany, France, Belgium, Austria and Switzerland (for him...they wouldn't let 12 year olds shoot :angry: ) for IPSC matches. We'd drive for four hours (or more) for a good match, sometimes even arriving the night before and staying at a motel.

Back then, our motto might as well have been, "Have gun, will travel."

The Fomeister 3 Gun, I kinda like the sound of that. But I can't wait until the Zookeeper World Revolver Championship on March 26. On a more serious note, Vikings501, Tewlman, and Jeremy K all have way more responsibility for the 3 gun match than I do, I just show up and help(and go to over 100 board meetings per month).

I'll drive about 3 hours maybe once a year. Over to Bend or up to Washington for the GSSF match. The longest trip currently planned for this year is to Roseburg for the GSSF match, otherwise, its about an hour or so to Tri-County or Dundee and 15 minutes to my home club of ARPC.

A couple of years ago I drove to Spokane to go to the GSSF match in Couer d' Alene, and was tentatively planning this year to take the family to Montana for Area 1, but I'm going to be redoing the lawn and installing a fence instead.

Several guys I know travel quite a bit to shoot.

I drive around 3 hours once a month. My longest drive is about 7 hours one a year or so.

The rest of the matches are 30 mins to 2 hours away, or I fly :P

Kevin

For regular matches, I usually don't have to drive more than an hour or so, 90 mins at the most. I've driven for 12 hours for a major match in the past and would prefer to drive to matches a bit farther away. If I'm travelling, I'll see if I can find a local match to where I'll be at the time. Generally, my three matches a month are within an hour of home.

Vince

I love all those short drives but here in Montana things are a little different. The first weekend of the month it is 180 miles south, the 2nd a 180 miles west and I am thinking of adding a 3rd 180 miles east.

Yeah, but 180 miles in Montana is still only 1 hours drive! :D

Nolan