Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me decide… Beretta 1301 or Benelli M2

frbejarano

I know this is a newb post but that is exactly what I am so please don't flame me. I recently began shooting 3 gun (4 matches total) and am ready to upgrade to an auto loader. After lurking and researching I have narrowed my choices down to the 21" Beretta 1301 Comp and the 21" Benelli M2. I don't plan on customizing either gun (right away) except for a Nordic mag extension, barrel clamp, and maybe a shot saver. I have not handled or fired either of the two and will be purchasing sight unseen. The main thing I want out of this shotgun is to be able to fire budget, low brass, target shells reliably.

Which do you guys think I should go with and why?

The Beretta is a bit more ready to run over a M2, but in the end the M2 after some extra work is a slightly better shotgun. On the M2 you can modify the loading port more for quad loads plus it is the standard of 3 gun shotguns.

At one time the 21" guns were the hot ticket, now most everyone runs the 24" barrels.

Welcome aboard. :cheers:

If you tune into FORUMS (top left of your screen), and then 3-gun,

you'll find a few discussions of shotguns. One of them has to contain

50 pages of discussion - pay special attention to PE Kelly's comments.

Good luck in your new adventures - :cheers:

Flames upon you sir! My 1301 has eaten nothing but cheap Federal light loads for thousands of rounds with no real cleaning and zero malfunctions. I always get the pink shells because both my gun and I love boobs, and we'd like to do everything possible to keep them around.

I went through this debate about a year ago and decided on a M2. More for the price of the gun than any perceived functional advantage. I was able to get a 26" barreled NIB M2 on Gunbroker for $900 plus shipping and I found no Berettas for anything less than $1000. That sealed the deal for me.

On another note, I've never really understood the 21" barrel fad. If the magazine tube you add is significantly longer than the barrel, what's the advantage of having such a short barrel when the mag tube is so long anyway? There is only a slight weight savings and I've always thought it looks kind of goofy.

I think 21's were more the ticket when everybody was running 8 round tubes. Now that everybody has 12+1 or more, barrels are getting longer to offset the goofiness of how it looks

My advice to the OP is go with a Benelli but I'm a little biased. The 1301 is a good shotgun as well.

OP,

I have both SG and both are 21", since you mentioned that no modification will be done for now except the things that you listed, Personally I will pick the 1301, from the box, The 1301 are smoother in the functions and are easier to feed. . I can see the potential of the M2, but needs more cash to make it race ready, and cash is a big factor for me right now. Maybe you can start with 1301 for now, have fun with it, and get the M2 in the future.. And trust me there no such thing as 1 gun guy, men are polygamous when it comes to guns. lol :devil:

Thanks for the replies. I'll be shooting a match this 18th and will see if some of the guys will let me fire their setups. I was pretty dead set on a 21 inch barrel and now considering the 24inch. I want to still be able to bird hunt with this weapon too. I'll do some more research on here and let you guys know what I go with. Thanks for your input.

OP,

I have both SG and both are 21", since you mentioned that no modification will be done for now except the things that you listed, Personally I will pick the 1301, from the box, The 1301 are smoother in the functions and are easier to feed. . I can see the potential of the M2, but needs more cash to make it race ready, and cash is a big factor for me right now. Maybe you can start with 1301 for now, have fun with it, and get the M2 in the future.. And trust me there no such thing as 1 gun guy, men are polygamous when it comes to guns. lol :devil:

+1

I just got a new TTI M2 and Taran called and talked me into a 24" it is the new hot ticket. I travel with a guy that shoots a 1301C and that gun has been 100% reliable through rain mud etc. he is not great on maintenance. Either the Benelli or the Beretta would make s great gun for you.

M2 would be my choice. The controls position and tube puke function on the 1301 are not appealing to me. In testing slugs, barrels longer than 24" start to fall off on accuracy.

M2 would be my choice. The controls position and tube puke function on the 1301 are not appealing to me. In testing slugs, barrels longer than 24" start to fall off on accuracy.

Never had a problem with my 1301 that Mark refers too - maybe I am just lucky.

Being that you are not going to be doing anything than putting a Nordic tube on I would go 1301, as others have said they are more ready out of the box. That said I would only run a 1301 as a "starter" shotgun that you use until you can get a M2 set up. I have done as much opening on my load port as I dare too and I just can't get quads to go properly, whereas the M2 can be more open making quads go.

Tiger. Is it necessary to open up the loading port anymore than what it is. Is the safety in front of the trigger any problem for you.

I ran my 1301 for a year without touching the loading port and I never had a problem dropping deuces. Opening it up made it easier because I could get my thumb deeper to push the shells into the mag tube, but its not a absolute must before you shoot a match with it. Opening the load port really helps with quads though.

I like the safety placement as I find taking it off is intuitive for me (long fingers), and re-engagement when abandoning feels more natural as well.

Just my opinion - YMMV

I went through thiis earlier this year and opted for the M2 and bit the bullet right away and sent it off to Mike Cyrus at Accurate Iron. It was well worth it. To me it would depend on your budget and future plans. I wanted to start with something proven. There were cheaper options, but none as proven and refined as a race M2.

To me the answer was an M2. The only questions were barrel length and who was going to do the work on it.

I went with a 24", which if I were doing it over, would likely now be a 26". I went with an RCI 10 round tube and then added a +2 extension. The RCI stuff is well built, with the 12 round tube length there is little reason to not go with the 26" barrel. The 12 round tube allows an immediate quad load at the start with an 1+8 start.

For a builder I went with Mike Cyrus at Accurate Iron. I am beyond pleased with his work, turnaround time, communication, etc.

My list was Taran Tactical, Benny Hill and Accurate Iron. There are other fine builders out there, this was what I settled on and I don't think you could go wrong with any on my list, but as I said above, I am beyond pleased with MIke at Accurate Iron.

I got pretty good at loading quads before I modified the port any. The most important part is moving the front of the opening closer to the handguard and shaving the lip of the handguard down so the second set of a quad doesn't catch it. The safety was a simple matter of retraining to reach a little further, taking it off is easy because it's where I rest my trigger finger anyways. The shell drop button took some practice, if I'm loading on an empty start I hit the button after the last quad with the back of my thumb while simultaneously hooking the bolt handle with my index finger and charging the gun. Its pretty smooth and quick with practice. I've never tried deuces so I can't offer an opinion on that.

I should mention that I don't have any time behind a worked over M2, so they may be the kitties-titties and I'm just unenlightened. But between a stock 1301 and a stock M2 I'd take the 1301. In my observations you have your choices narrowed down to the two most out of the box reliable shotgun's in the game, you can't go wrong with either.