Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long should an ejector last?

38SuperWes

I bought my 9 major gun used, the top end was brand new but the bottom end seems to have had a lot of rounds through it. The face of the ejector looks to have been shaped like a Brazos tuned at one point, but seems to have flattened out quite a bit. I have some infrequent FTE's and I am trying to determine if mag related or ejector related. Some friends at the last match pointed out that every now and again the ejection pattern changes and a few weak ones come out. It is also showing dings on the bottom of the scope, a fairly recent development. At the same time I have identified two inconsistent mags. I have a new Brazos tuned ejector on order, but was curious to get some opinions on the life span of an ejector.

Wes

Hello: Make sure all your mags have the same width of feed lips and angle. Check to see if all your mag springs are about the same length and your followers are not worn. Once that is done then look at the extractor tension. Lastly the ejector. Thanks, Eric

Eric,

Can you explain why the mags would change the ejection of the gun? When ever I have problems with ejection it is either the extractor or the ejector. I would like to know if I am just covering up a mag problem with tuning the ejector and extractor.

I don't propose to speak for Eric...but...

He's probably steering you toward looking at things like mag-spring strength (strong/weak) and other variables that have a very direct impact on erratic ejection problems. If you take two magazines with identical dimensioned feed lips and, assuming your gun is set up correctly, run a full mag of ammo thru both, the magazine with worn out spring will have a different and possibly more erratic ejection pattern than the mag with a new, strong spring. It has to do with how consistently the magazine spring is pushing the bullet stack up to the feedlips and thus where each spent round is being presented to the ejector nose. Realize that the spent casing is still being pushed on from the bottom by the next loaded round under it while it's being ejected. Weak or different types springs can have a very tangible effect on ejection pattern. One might think they have a problem with their ejector or extractor when it's in fact faulty magazines.

Of course this isn't just limited to the mag spring. It can also be feedlips out of adjustment as well as a dragging follower. Once the magazine and its components have been addressed, then it's time to start looking at the relationship between the extractor tension and profile of the nose of the ejector. Not to say your problem isn't in fact the ejector. It very well could be. But many fruitless "bug hunts" have occurred with swapping extractors, ejectors, filing them, etc etc etc, trying to fix ejection problems that were rooted in magazine performance.

Hope this helps,

Cheers623

DVC

Edited by cheers623

Hello: I was just going to say to think about how the mags work and what relationship they have with the ejected round. You may have also noticed that spent cases will come out high and lower or more forward then back each round. It has to do with how the rounds are fed from the mag, a right and left thing stagger. Mags have caused more people to get guns fixed or sold than you can imagine. Good mags can make your life wonderful. Fix them fist then look for other problems. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I was just going to say to think about how the mags work and what relationship they have with the ejected round. You may have also noticed that spent cases will come out high and lower or more forward then back each round. It has to do with how the rounds are fed from the mag, a right and left thing stagger. Mags have caused more people to get guns fixed or sold than you can imagine. Good mags can make your life wonderful. Fix them fist then look for other problems. Thanks, Eric

Thanks Eric.... I am going to go over the mags in great detail before swapping out the ejector.

Well I know why I have never had this problem. I change the springs every month, and run the mags through the ultrasonic cleaner every week. When they come out of the cleaner I check and adjust the feed lips if needed. Thanks for the info.

Well I know why I have never had this problem. I change the springs every month, and run the mags through the ultrasonic cleaner every week. When they come out of the cleaner I check and adjust the feed lips if needed. Thanks for the info.
Every month? How much do you shoot?

About 1000 a week so far this year.

Hello: Another way to check ejector and extractor is to chamber a round, remove magazine then fire the round. Look to see how it ejects. The do it again with a loaded magazine and see how that looks. You will then see how the installed magazine effects the ejection/extraction. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Another way to check ejector and extractor is to chamber a round, remove magazine then fire the round. Look to see how it ejects. The do it again with a loaded magazine and see how that looks. You will then see how the installed magazine effects the ejection/extraction. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I will try this today and let you know the results.

The ejector throws a small arc about 6 inches out and then down... without a mag a little higher than with mags, the mags that I can trust were all good today. Over all it seems a bit of an anemic throw. I will have a couple of guys watch on Sunday, maybe video. So let's she how she rolls on Sunday before I try the new ejector.

Damn! You and Cookie! I don't think I've shot 1000 all year so far!

The ejector throws a small arc about 6 inches out and then down... without a mag a little higher than with mags, the mags that I can trust were all good today. Over all it seems a bit of an anemic throw. I will have a couple of guys watch on Sunday, maybe video. So let's she how she rolls on Sunday before I try the new ejector.

What kind of extractor are you using? Have you pulled it out and cleaned it? Try running a lighter recoil spring. Put some tape on the scope and mount to see how many rounds hit it. You might just need to do some basic maintenance to get the gun running again. Edited by Tyshoots

Damn! You and Cookie! I don't think I've shot 1000 all year so far!
Yea I will have to slow down after Area 3. The transition from iron sights to a dot took a little more work than I thought it should. I am still shooting slower than I should but my hits have improved a lot.

What kind of extractor are you using? Have you pulled it out and cleaned it? Try running a lighter recoil spring. Put some tape on the scope and mount to see how many rounds hit it. You might just need to do some basic maintenance to get the gun running again.

I am running an Aftec, it seems to fit nice, not to tight and not loose at all. Running a 9 pound spring. Will stick in the 8 pound spring for the Sunday match. There is actually a dent in the bottom of the scope from brass hitting it. Can't tell if it hitting now or not...but it was...

Ok so here is where we are now:

I changed springs and worked on the mags and held off replacing the ejector and stuck in the 8lb spring for the Sunday match. Epic fail, ended up going home after two stages.

At the match, Shannon Smith showed me his 9major gun and how the STS2 is completely off the ejection port, then pointed out that my brass is whacking the scope. This I knew but was hoping the real problems were elsewhere. Shannon's thoughts were until I get the scope out of the way, tuning the ejector would not completely get me out of the woods as there are just so many variables running 9major, that even with the finest tuning, at some point some mag or piece of brass sticking or something is going to hose me up.

So I went home, changed out the ejector to the Brazos tuned ejector. Same problem, brass whacking the scope and every 75 or so rounds....a stovepipe or something.

So I took off the scope completely. Ran 250 rounds of both major and minor ammo through every magazine I own, even ones I had considered iffy. Gun ran flawless.

I contacted Speed Shooter.com and ordered a Cheely Horizontal mount as I can not at this moment afford the STS2 setup. I paid for the 3 day UPS but they were really cool and over-nighted the mount to me. I installed the mount and went shooting.

So far around 500 plus rounds of major and minor ammo through every magazine I run, again including four mags I was sure were never going to run.

Not a single failure. The gun runs flawlessly.

I am getting used to the new mount...if I can get used to it I will just run this, if not...I will save some cash and go with the STS2 set up.

Problem solved.

Thanks for all the help and ideas....

Wes

Wes: What is the length of your ejector? Measure it from the front post to the tip of the ejector. Also is the ejector cut at an angle or is it flat? I like the Cheely 90 degree setback mount since I shoot iron sight pistols as well. Once you learn the lower mount you are going to love it. Thanks, Eric

Wes: What is the length of your ejector? Measure it from the front post to the tip of the ejector. Also is the ejector cut at an angle or is it flat? I like the Cheely 90 degree setback mount since I shoot iron sight pistols as well. Once you learn the lower mount you are going to love it. Thanks, Eric

Please go into more detail about where you were going with ejector length.

Thank you

Hi Eric... It was really tough for me to knock that thing in so I have not pulled it back out to measure...it the Brazos Tuned Ejector with no alteration, so whatever length he cuts them at and it still running like a top. I have become used to the side mount and think I am going to hang with it...it is working great. So far...so good!