Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feel the slide move

QuickMick

Did a training today, focussing on acceptable sight pictures, calling shots and doing Bill Drills. I always start slow, watch the sight move, try to call shots. In that mode I'm slightly below 5s. When pushing for some more speed my perception of the gun changed completely. I think I felt the slide moving backwards, changing the direction moving forward again and locking. 3,08s. I thought about some weak loads but they are all out of the same reloading session I did weeks ago. It's annoying, don't know if that's a good sign or a bad one. Help welcome.

if you are beginning to experience things you've never experienced before that is not a bad thing ... doesn't mean anything is wrong, just means you're beginning to pay more attention to what is happening around you .... do you see your brass eject or the muzzle flash when shooting? At some point you'll start seeing all those things going on as your awareness increases ....

Yep, that's a very weird sensation! I felt mine moving most when shooting 147s (9MM) at about 900 FPS. Very strange. Then I thought, "Hey maybe I can outrun the slide???" Yeah right! It's cycling pretty fast! It's not so noticeable with the 135s but I still feel it sometimes. Great shooting!

Your super powers will be kicking in when you can see the bullet traveling to the target. :)

No super powers. I used to shoot with a group of shooters at an indoor range on Tuesday nights, with Montana Gold bullets and the lights in the range, it was not uncommon to watch rounds go downrange.

Hurley

I have guns that cycle somewhat slowly and you can feel the slide cycling...Bianchi Open guns do this. Try "feeling the hammer fall". That's a trick I learned shooting single-actions for high-accuracy. An old timer once told me to "feel the hammer fall", and if you can do that without upsetting the sights, you'll always hit the target.

• 7 months later...

if you are beginning to experience things you've never experienced before that is not a bad thing ... doesn't mean anything is wrong, just means you're beginning to pay more attention to what is happening around you .... do you see your brass eject or the muzzle flash when shooting? At some point you'll start seeing all those things going on as your awareness increases ....

I just had this last week. I was shooting a friend's Standard div glock 17. Damn that spark was intensive and LONG. I'm not sure if I am liking this :P