Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Checker (Squib/Double)

I use one in my .40 setup and would not reload for this caliber without it. I use 4.9g of N320 and 10 would easily fit in the case. I have never thrown a squib, and I don't wory about the powder station any more since the checker will catch a charge if it is out of spec. I do wish that it was spring loaded instead of that little plastic piece bending.

Flyin40,

To use the powder check you have to have a hole in the toolhead for the rod that pushes up the buzzer. On the 650 there is a hole in the toolhead for the rod and as the shellplate comes up it pushes on the rod. On the 1050 the rod hangs over the side of the toolhead and a washer is added to the end of the rod so that it will hit the shellplate.

Looks to like you would have to have a 5 station press. It's not offered for the 550 either.

Kevin

I use the RCBS Lockout Die as a powder check, catches squibs and no charges... simple and effective. Once adjusted and it senses something wrong it will lock up the upstroke until the problem is corrected.

There is one possibility for running a powder check die on a 4 stage press, and let me say that this is just a theory since I don't own a 4 stage press, but...

If you have a competition seating sie that does the seat and crimp in one location, then you can put the powder check in station 3 and the seat and crimp die in station 4.

Anyone with experience on this please chime in.

When I still owned a 650, I used it on the toolhead for reloading .223 (the other was .40). I liked it as I'm anal about my rifle loads...especially when throwing 25+ grains and getting sub MOA groups (I got lucky on the barrel).

Rich

i just recently gave my 650 away, but when i was reloading on it, i didn't use the powder check - just kept that die position empty. i've had my 650 for about 7 years, and loaded quite a few rounds without any squibs. I'm very careful with my loading however, and keep an eye on the shellplate to observe any malfunctions, etc. - wasn't reloading for speed (until i got my 1050 :))

I mainly loaded 9mm and 38 super (3.5-10grns).

I could be wrong, but from my understanding, the powder check station will only catch measures that are grossly out of whack. if i ever had the situation where the machine jammed during the middle of a powder throw, i would visually check the power amount in the case, after i cleared the jam, to see if it visually looked like it was doubled or empty. never found one.

I use it but also visually eyeball each round to verify. Like mg1199 said, it isn't for finding small measurement problems but for finding squibs and double charges.

I like it. :D

FWIW

dj

Me too!

Seems to be cheap insurance.

Following the advice on one of the many threads here, I got a little lamp that shines right into the case so I can check as I put the bullet on the case.

I've never had a squib that the powder check didn't catch.

I don't have a powder check because I have a SDB. I haven't had a squib yet in 100K rounds loaded (except for deliberately loaded ones that I made to see what they sounded like). But then, I look in the case every time, right before the bullet gets placed. Even so, I've never even caught a squib cycling into the seating station that I didn't already know about because I automatically check that station if I have any hangup in the loading cycle.

I searched RCBS's web site and did not find any info on the "lockout" die. Do they make these any more? Does anyone have a link with more info?

We have just started reloading and while we are checking each round as we place the bullet blowing up our guns does not sound like something I want to do.

Ira