Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Beretta 92 mags for Production / SSP

Mike62

Does anyone have experience with the various version the Beretta 92 Mags? I plan to use the gun for production and SSP. Any input we would be great.

I found these which appear to be what come with the gun: http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/92f-9mm-15rd-new-bulk-beretta-factory-mags.html#.VZqo_53D_Mp

I also found these which sound nice too: http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/beretta-92-18rd-9mm-anti-friction-magazine.html#.VZqpPZ3D_Mo

Thanks,

Mike

Got those plus Mec Gar mags. All work well. Had one Mec Gar that didn't drop free, it was somehow malformed near the base.

Judicious use of a small hammer and a vice got it dropping free and working (I tested it) in short order.

The bad one was the only one of five withe any issues, and I have 10 CZ75 mags from Mec Gar that work perfectly so I'm speculating it's a fluke.

The factory Beretta mags are actually Mec Gar's correct?

Does anyone know if the 20rnd mags fit in the box? I like having the extended base pads even though the added capacity is pointless.

I have run both of those magazines, and have had zero issues. I do not know who makes the Beretta ones, but would suspect if not made by Beretta, they are by Mec-Gar.

I run the +2 plates on the Mec-Gars when I run in 3Gun. Would be nice to know if I can leave them on all the time instead of swapping them out.

• 3 weeks later...

mec gar got their start building beretta mags. both company's have moved on I sometimes carry a baretta for work.

I use mec gar mags with out concern. have only a dozen or so factory marked mags. 2 dozen mec gar neve a mal-f.

not for gaming but for real work no worries. rela mec gar 20 rdr's do not extend below the end of the mag well.

our work load is 124 gr speer +p+ nag on when u touch them off. L.O.L.

btw" the cdnn are NOT MECGAR I don't think. know the med gar folks very well. I would pass regardless of what they say unless MARKED. careful

jjw

Factory beretta 15 mags with the older metal base plates.

The new 17 rounders and mecgar are highly reliable, but are too light to always fall free when empty, and bulge a little when loaded and sometimes do not fall free with rounds in.

The 15 rounders that come with the m9 a1 with metal base plates are the best imo.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to clarify.

The old factory 15 rounds come with a metal baseplate and work great.

The new 15 round ones ones have a plastic base plate and work great but the lightness I worry about failure to drop free.

The new slick 15 rounders that come with the m9a1 are great but also have the plastic baseplate.

There is a company that makes metal base plates and I use them to replace the plastic ones.

The factory 17 rounders and mec gar 18 or 20s have also all had great function. But as mentioned have drop free issues. Also, the new plastic followers I have had break when dropped. Only twice overs hundreds and hundreds or how many ever of drops, but never happened with metal follower mags.

• 3 months later...

I have shot a Beretta elite II in production for a few years. I used a mix of older Beretta mags and Mec-Gar mags. I have the 17 round ones with rubber basepads. I replaced the springs with wolf +10 mag springs. I have never ever had a problem with them not dropping or not feeding or anything.

Ive just worn my Beretta out, so I am switching to a CZ..it is breaking my heart to move away from the Beretta.

• 2 months later...

I have shot a Beretta elite II in production for a few years. I used a mix of older Beretta mags and Mec-Gar mags. I have the 17 round ones with rubber basepads. I replaced the springs with wolf +10 mag springs. I have never ever had a problem with them not dropping or not feeding or anything.

Ive just worn my Beretta out, so I am switching to a CZ..it is breaking my heart to move away from the Beretta.

Heh - I'm moving back to the Beretta after shooting the CZ's...

:)

I'm tried of rebuilding those guns. I think my results have been atypical, but I've had to rebuild them a lot.

• 1 month later...

Heh - I'm moving back to the Beretta after shooting the CZ's...

:)

I'm tried of rebuilding those guns. I think my results have been atypical, but I've had to rebuild them a lot.

Dang.. I hope I dont have that trouble. So far its been fine. I do miss knowing that my pistol would work each and every time I pulled the trigger. With a new pistol, I am not as confident yet.

I dig the OEM ones and the 15-round Checkmates. Checkmates are almost universally shat upon, but it seems to be dependent on environment and whether or not they've been stomped/crushed. They worked for me even with giant clods of dirt stuck inside.

MDS makes Beretta factory mags - they are owned by Beretta, actually. But yes... Once upon a time, Mecgar made their mags.

I've had issues with factory mags no longer locking the slide back reliably if I load them to 15 rounds, and leave them loaded in a gun for months. I've had to change out about 1/2 of my factory mag springs to +10% mag springs to combat the issue. Now, I just load them to 14 rounds for the ones with the stock springs I still have, and I no longer have the problem.

I have never had this issue with Mecgar mags - I have a few. I think they use better factory springs. I saw a post on AR15.com yesterday, though - where the guy showed how the Mecgar 18 round baseplates break rather easily. First time I saw that. The older style 15 round Mecgars I have had a metal baseplate. I do not know if they still make these, however.