Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite .45ACP bullets for plinking?

7kings

Out of 617 shooters yesterday at the Camp Perry National Championships prelim the 200 grain ACME SWC took home the trophy with Mike Riel doing the shooting.

bowen:

Do you know if Riel was shooting ACME's standard lead or their new "coated"?

Thanks!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was shooting the plain cast bullets as these are the ones he had dialed in. He now has the coated bullets and will be shooting them next year. The same attention to detail goes into the coated as well as the cast and it says volumes that a small bullet maker can manage a win over all the big name bullet vendors that were on hand.

He was shooting the plain cast bullets as these are the ones he had dialed in. He now has the coated bullets and will be shooting them next year. The same attention to detail goes into the coated as well as the cast and it says volumes that a small bullet maker can manage a win over all the big name bullet vendors that were on hand.

Thank you Sir!

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a 250-pack of 200gr SWC from Precision to try out. I'll let you guys know what I think of them, but if the responses here are any indication, I think I'll like them (and I definitely won't argue with the prices of lead vs FMJ).

Thanks again for all the information, guys! Very helpful.

How'd they work?

That's pretty much where I'm as as well. I'm shooting 230gr LRN for eleven cents per round.

I shoot 200gr LSWC's as well from Acme, Precision, BBI, and Missouri, but probably a few more cents per round.

I just ordered a 250-pack of 200gr SWC from Precision to try out. I'll let you guys know what I think of them, but if the responses here are any indication, I think I'll like them (and I definitely won't argue with the prices of lead vs FMJ).

Thanks again for all the information, guys! Very helpful.

How'd they work?

I haven't loaded them yet. I'll be loading some for a range session this weekend, so I'll report back.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it wasn't brought up earlier in this thread, but the vast majority of bullet manufacturers use Hi-Tech or similar coatings and it seems only a few by comparison use Moly.

When I think "coated" bullets, Moly doesn't come to mind. When you posted that you went for Moly bullets my first thought was "oh man, of all the coated bullet choices..."

Many who use Moly bullets have good luck with them though, but from my experience they do seem much more finicky than "painted" bullets.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried Blue Bullets and had a great experience with them, so I think I've found my new range load... Thanks guys!

That seems to be everyone's experience with blue bullets. I'm just gonna have to give them a try when I need to order again.

• 1 month later...

Scrap lead, 230gr RN out of a Lee TL452-230-2R bullet mold, no coating just the floor wax & alox recipe tumble lubed. I use this bullet for everything except self defense.

Paying $1 per pound for the lead = less than four cents per bullet. Some places give me the lead for free, others I offer to bring a pizza in exchange for a five gallon bucket full of lead and they're happy to call me when they have enough.

Scrapyards are happy to buy your unwanted/damaged brass, some will even take spent primers. Then you use the cash to buy wheel weights, boat ballast and other lead from them.

Stock up quick, lead wheel weights (perfect hardness for bullets) are already on the way out due to changing environmental rules. Other sources of lead like roofers and plumbers use much purer/softer lead that needs to be smelted with hardeners for bullet use and it's a giant pain in the butt.

• 1 month later...

My favorite practice bullet for my 45's is a 200 gr. LRNFP that a local bullet caster makes using a Lee six-cavity mold sized to .452" . I think I'm the only customer he makes this bullet for as most prefer a 200 gr. #68 SWC but I have found this bullet will feed in all my 45's and it is very close the The Blue Bullet 200 gr. RNFP that I use in matches over 4.8 grs of WST or 4.3 grs of N-310.

Edited by eggman

I have used most of what is on here, and just found another one.

This guy sells them for half of what you are paying, and they ship fast, and shoot as well as any other I have used.

For the forseeable future he will get my business.

I simply don't care about coated, so I don't count it.

There is no better deal going right now..Shipped, I have 6 cts a piece.

http://www.summersenterprisesllc.com/category-s/103.htm

Edit to add..I loaded some last night, and the bullets are so clean, and dry, that I barely had any black on my hand after loading 100.

The lead does not seem to come off on your hands, like most.

Edited by bwxmas

• 4 weeks later...

I shoot coated and copper plated in 40, but not in 45. I use the same loads for bullseye and action/paractice/plates/pins. A Dardas 200gr LSWC for bullseye and practice and a Dardas 200gr LRNFP for action, plates and pins. They are the most accurate cast bullets I've found for all my 1911s. They don't lead and the lube is great.