Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite .45ACP bullets for plinking?

7kings

What do you guys prefer for plinking bullets in .45ACP? I just expanded my reloading setup into .45 and chose the first bullets that I had good recipes for with my on-hand powder stock and that I was able to find a good price on (230gr Hornady HAP). It wasn't TOTALLY random, since I generally prefer Hornady for my 9mm loads, both target and SD, but it definitely was little more than a semi-educated pick.

Thoughts? I've always had good luck with Hornady, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Thanks!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always used jacketed bullets, so I'm not familiar with any nuances associated with lead. Are there any real considerations that I need to keep in mind if I start loading and shooting lead? I know that I should avoid shooting them through polygonal rifling (such as found in factory Glock barrels), but beyond that...

It depends on your gun and load. I've been working on various plinking loads for my 45s. With my stainless 5" 1911 I like 230gr RN Ibejiheads. For my SIG Aluminum framed officers model I like 200 gr Ibejiheads. WST is really nice for minor 45 loads but a little dirty. N310 is fantastically clean but sharper recoil. On a side note, with the little SIG and 200gr XTPs loaded fairly light, it would make 1 hole groups at 10 yards which is dang impressive for a tiny gun.

I have been using ACME coated bullets since February for all of my bullet needs. I have never been happier with a product or the support. For .45 ACP they are making 175, 200 and 230 grn. bullets. Very accurate, clean and stink free.

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloading-brass/HiTek-Coated-bullets

Edited by bowenbuilt

230-gr hard-cast lead round nose.

But not just for plinking. It's my go-to round for everything. I shoot it for practice, IDPA, USPSA, Multigun, Steel, and, oh yeah, it's the same load in the same gun that I carry everyday.

You got it. Cheap, no smoke attributed to the bullet, as clean as jacketed and very accurate.

And they load with the same recipes as regular lead, right? It sounds like that might be the way to go.

Bayou 225 TC is my personal favorite for a cost effective practice load,followed closely by a Zero 230 FMJ and then the 185 JHP by Precision Delta.

Coated bullets are clean to handle, shoot and load. I dont mess with old style wax lubes and naked anymore because the coated rounds are so much cleaner. OR maybe I am getting old and grumpy...

This load will be running mostly in my Colt Gold Cup Trophy, which has really been performing well with a number of different factory loads and my HAP reloads. I'm really leaning towards a SWC coated lead bullet in the 200gr range at this point, based on everyone's experiences.

I shot a lot of lead bullets in my Kimber .45 and really was tiring of cleaning out streaks of lead fouling in the barrel. I finally listened to the posts here and tried coated bullets. What a difference. 100% cleaner shooting, load really easy, and the cost is great. There are certainly personal ideas on which coated bullet is better, I have settled on the Blue Bullets myself. I tried Bayous but had some sizing issues, but others swear by them.

It will keep lead fouling to zip, keeps the price down, and you will get questioned many times by other shooters. Part of the fun and yet you will be very stylish....lol.lol. Some of them have a peculiar smell to them when shot too.

As a side note for competition at major matches, I always go to 230 grain Montana Gold, these are hard to beat for accuracy and seem to be the preferred bullet by many shooters.

Edited by mont1120

I am shooting Penn Bullets 230 gr TC. good price and good service. I just order what I want and wait. Common stuff arrives pretty quickly. I try to keep stock on hand so I am rarely in a hurry to get a few thousand more bullets.

Precision bullets, 200gr RNF. The coating is great, they don't smoke, more than accurate enough for competition and shipping is included in the price.

Im using quite a bit since I switched to lead. Saves me almost $30 per thousand over plated, have yet to find a drawback

I just ordered a 250-pack of 200gr SWC from Precision to try out. I'll let you guys know what I think of them, but if the responses here are any indication, I think I'll like them (and I definitely won't argue with the prices of lead vs FMJ).

Thanks again for all the information, guys! Very helpful.