Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle choices..getting back into it.

Trumpet

If you want truly out of the box performance without breaking your bank, the Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor would get my nod. I am an AVID Remington 700 shooter, and would seriously consider buying one for games and serious precision work.

I started with a 5R. I added HS bottom metal, cause you can do it yourself and the mags feed well, topped,it with a Bushnell 3.5-21 with the G2 reticle and shot it for a year. It is an easy platform to get started with and is easily upgraded. The 308 is a fine platform to learn on, but it has it's limits.

I had it rebarreled to a 6.5 Creedmoor added a JEC brake, Rifle Basix trigger and have competed with it in PRS, Woodys DMM, and the Guardian matches. I've had top ten finishes and don't feel it has held me back at all. The Creedmore is a better choice for PRS and there is excellent factory ammo.

I started with a 5R. I added HS bottom metal, cause you can do it yourself and the mags feed well, topped,it with a Bushnell 3.5-21 with the G2 reticle and shot it for a year. It is an easy platform to get started with and is easily upgraded. The 308 is a fine platform to learn on, but it has it's limits.

I had it rebarreled to a 6.5 Creedmoor added a JEC brake, Rifle Basix trigger and have competed with it in PRS, Woodys DMM, and the Guardian matches. I've had top ten finishes and don't feel it has held me back at all. The Creedmore is a better choice for PRS and there is excellent factory ammo.

That seems like a great path.

Just reading through this and then I went down the rabbit hole of the 6.5 google searching. I see everyone raving about it, however off the shelf rifle options are quite limited. Seems to be Ruger or Savage as the options. Also I see Ruger has a precision rifle with all the chassis goodies for $1200 or so in 6.5. That may be the ticket.

I'm not looking to reload, have a 1000yd range 15 minutes from me and would like to start shooting out to 700+ distances. Was going to build a 308 but it seems the 6.5 is the right move with me being a non-reloading and budget minded person.

Just reading through this and then I went down the rabbit hole of the 6.5 google searching. I see everyone raving about it, however off the shelf rifle options are quite limited. Seems to be Ruger or Savage as the options. Also I see Ruger has a precision rifle with all the chassis goodies for $1200 or so in 6.5. That may be the ticket.

I'm not looking to reload, have a 1000yd range 15 minutes from me and would like to start shooting out to 700+ distances. Was going to build a 308 but it seems the 6.5 is the right move with me being a non-reloading and budget minded person.

The 6.5 Creed is a way better option for shooting 700+. As you said, the new Ruger is a pretty tough gun to beat since many are selling for less than $1k.

Since I'm a tinkerer, I'd go for the 700. You can modify every part of it easily with dozens of options (and at your kitchen table with simple tools if you get a Rem Nut for headspacing the new barrel). They generally shoot well and for a few hundred $$ at a time you can make it into a bench quality gun if you ever head that route.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...