Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Ghost Menu"

Jim Norman

OK, never saw this before. When attempting to enter scores a 'Ghost Menu' appears about 1/2 way down the right side of the screen. I think it is something to do with a 'super user' but it is only barely visible, has to have the NST held just right to see it. There is an exit 'X' that will close the menu, but it kept popping up on one unit. When visible 1or active you could not enter scores, it kept bouncing you around the screen. It appears to have ceased after a reboot, but I will look at it again tomorrow. 14 hour mach day, I am too tired to put out the gear.

newest version of PS 1.2.30

To elaborate a bit more, what can be seen if the NST is held at the correct angle is an X in a circle to close the menu and a couple of arrows. I have not played around with this since the match, I may try over the weekend just to see if I can call it up and also what it does, My question is, has anyone else seen this and why does it occur? It only happened on two of the NSTs, but it does keep you from running PS until it is closed and I think I had to reboot to get it to stay gone.

I have seen what you are referencing. It sometimes prevents entering miss or procedural on individual shooter scoring. I was able to avoid it by scrolling down but got it closed with the x once. Another instance I had to completely power down the nook. Seems as I recall that a stylus swipe in just the wrong spot could cause the menu to pop up.

This is not part of the PractiScore app, but come from the Nook rooting package and corresponding app launcher.

Don't think rootnscore package has that, so you can probably re-root with it.

Edited by euxx

The menu you are talking about is the Button Savior menu that is part of the Nook OS Root package. If you look at the middle right side of the nook screen you will see a faint tab/arrow icon. If you tap on that icon it will open up the Button Savior menu that gives you more options in how to configure the rooted OS look, feel and function. For normal scoring this menu is not needed and if you don't change its opening function to a "Long Click Trigger" opening then it will continually get in the way when you are scoring targets. To change how this button savior menu functions follow the below process.....

(1) Go to the Rooted OS desktop, usually this is done by exiting Practiscore then taping on the 4 square Icon on the bottom middle of the screen.

(2) On the Rooted OS desktop there should be an Icon named "Button Savior". You may have to swipe left or right to get to the next page of rooted OS desktop to see it. Once you see it tap on the Button Savior Icon to launch the app.

(3) In the Button Savior app page down to the "Look And Feel" section. There is an option called "Long Click Trigger" tap the box to the right of that function to put a check mark in the box.

(4) In the "Auto Hide" section tap on the down arrow icon to the right of that function and it will open up a menu of time out times to set it to. Tap on the circle to the right of the "5 Sec" option to select it. This will automatically set the feature and go back to the main menu of the Button Savior app.

(5) Tap on the counter clockwise circle arrow icon on the top middle of the screen to exit out of the Button Savior app.

At this point you will have changed the Button Savior menu to require a press and hold of the small tab/arrow icon in the right middle of the screen for a couple of seconds to open it. You have also set the Button Savior menu to auto close/hide after 5 seconds of non-use. Doing this makes it harder for shooters to actually open the menu when tapping in scores then if they accidentally do open the menu it will auto close within 5 seconds. I have done this to all of the Nooks I have rooted and it works great to keep the Button Savior menu from popping up and getting in the way while people are scoring a stage run.

It does come with the Root'n-Score-It kit, but it's disabled. If you rooted with a very old kit, or the original one that RASI is based on, it's enabled by default.

One of the things RASI does on the second reboot is run through and set tweaks that make it better for scoring. Disabling Button Savior is one, another is locking the desktop, and a few other things like that.

Thank you all. I think this only occurs on the original group of nooks so I'll see if I can't follow Cha-Lee's instructions to put tis back to sleep Funny thing is that it never popped up before.