Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactile and Audible Reset -How Important

Dr.J

I'm new to USPA shooting and wasn't sure where to post this question, so if it belongs in another section of the forum please let me know. I'm thinking about purchasing my first gun for this type of shooting, I've been a bullseye shooter up to this time. I'm looking at the S&W M&P Core 9L without porting, however both guns I've handled have not had what I would consider either an audible or tactile reset. How important, or is it important, to have a reset that you can hear or feel? Thanks, Dr.J

exactly. our sport is about speed. Waiting to hear or feel something is slow .... very slow. The only feedback you'll ever want to learn how to accomplish is calling your shots & that is visual so it happens at teh speed of light ... BTW, just go buy a CZ SP01 Shadow and you'll be GTO ...

Well, I don't know how others mastered the different trigger pulls, but when I was learning, being able to feel the trigger reset was paramount. After I mastered the trigger, I not longer felt the reset . . . or paid any attention to it, I should say. Now, I just know it without thinking about it.

Ben Stoeger does a good job of explaining the different trigger pulls, in his book. It sure helped me understand, and master, my trigger.

Dr. J,..after shooting bullseye, you have probably forgotten more about trigger discipline than most action type shooter will ever learn. I am going to give you the best advice I know...........

1. look up Bill Drills and shoot the piss out of them until you are seeing everything and your six shot group is all in the A zone at 7 yards. You can not do this drill enough. It will teach you everything you need to know including grip, stance, trigger pull, learning not to blink, flinch and and seeing what needs to be seen. With the gun holstered from the buzzer at 7 yards you should strive to push your times toward 2 seconds all A's. This is Master territory.

2. Set up a near to far drill. Target at 3 yards, partial target at 15 yards or so, and a steel plate (paper plates work good) at 25.

From the buzzer draw and shoot the targets. You can start at 25 and work your way back, far to near, or at 3 and work out, near to far. Goal here isn't speed, although that will happen over time and should be something you are constantly pushing in practice. The goal is thus,.....this array will simulate the 3 different types of "trigger pulls" you will encounter in your new career as a uspsa shooter. Each distance requires a different "finesse" if you will. At 3 yards you can slap the hell out of that trigger. The shots will be soooooo close together it'll almost sound like one. There is no finesse at 3 yards. BANGBANG. At 15 yards now we are talking a bit of discipline,...BANG BANG. 25 yards ,......BANG.........BANG.

As a Bullseye shooter your instincts are going to be to align everything and press perfectly. You've got to fight that and learn what is acceptable. Those drills above will get you there if you constantly do them and look for ways to do them more accurately with speed.

To answer your original question.........I feel that approach will slow you down. Your struggle from Bullseye will be letting go of that type of perfection and learning what is acceptable.

Good luck, pm any questions. Happy to help any way I can.

Edited by Chris iliff