Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 AR reloading question.

Bigzam

For those that reload for your .308 ARs. What combo have you had the best luck with? I am trying to use once fired brass mixed head stamp that has been full length resized, Fed210 primers, 43gr of varget, 175gr SMK. COAL of 2.800. The issue i am running into is that as soon as i chamber a round it gets stuck. It is almost like it is engaging the rifling and getting stuck in there. I have to bang on the butt stock and pull on the charging handle just to let it go. Should i seat deeper at the risk of increased pressures?

Sounds like the die needs a little adjusting. 2.800 should be well off the rifling unless your barrel is throated super short. If you are using assorted range brass, then your new Small Base die will be your best friend.

I had the same issue with a Ruger sr 762 and found that I was not seating the bullet deep enough. You have to measure your seating depth in your barrel with your bullet type to make sure the bullet is not hitting the rifling before the roundt is in battery. I found that out when I had to tap my bolt back and the bullet was stuck in the barrel. Check that.

Use a small base die and screw it all the way in till it touches the shell plate. Also, buy a case gauge and gauge each sized (empty) piece of brass. I recommend the JP chamber gauge as it's made for his chambers and they're very tight. Also, are you trimming the brass?

Rigger JJ knows what he is talking about , I use the dillon dies and case gauges the same way too and do not have any issues with stuck cases.

I do use DPMS barrels exclusively but chambers can vary in size.

Just a quick follow up. I picked up the small base dies and resized all my brass. Much better this time around. didn't have to mortar the bejeezus out of it to clear. Still waiting on my JP chamber gauge. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.