Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not having fun, from being too stressed out?

Gooldylocks

I took Matt Burkett's advice and starting shooting at 45 yards. It was a cluster f$^#$^k at first. I had hanging steel at little bigger than the A zone. After I settled down -- I was running around 90% hits. This is from a draw. It was a learning experience. It really taught me visual patience and trigger control. Now it is rare for me to get less than 95%.

I had a friend out a couple months ago shooting my SV SS at 56 yards--lasered it--she was a D class shooter (but precision rifle skilled) and she was banging a full size USPSA target at 65%. She has very good trigger control.

WOW, thinking about it, I might do some distance work tomorrow. I did dot drills today.

Here was the deal for me. Knowing I could hit the target at 50 yards was a huge boost to my self-confidence. This is in-sync with what Lanny preaches.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably no where near qualified enough to comment, but a couple of observations from what you've said.

"kind of gotten this expectation that I could be winning" - Yeah, I had that too. Took a couple of humiliating spankings for me to realise that I'm only as good as my last shot. In my case, my match percentages have gone up because I have learnt (thanks Steve Anderson) that I can only be as good as I can be. My shots are only as good as the sight picture when I pull the trigger. My match results are a combination of those shots. I now shoot with an acceptable sight picture being the only expectation. My match results will reflect the application of my training.

"I know I can pretty reasonably run with the big dogs, IF I can perform" - And you will. Don't worry about them & soon enough they'll be worrying about you. Other people don't matter. You cannot influence their shots & they cannot influence yours.

"I shot one of the short hoser courses with the fastest time of anyone there, but bounced a round off the barrel and missed a probably 2 yard target" - Visual patience (Thanks Steve). Only break the shot when you have an acceptable sight picture (Thanks Steve). A good shot that take 0.1 longer is loads better than a make up shot. Both are better than a miss.

"how do you shake it off and move on". For me, by turning the negatives into positives. Go & kick the floor for a bit & then get your head around the accountability of it all

What did I do wrong? I missed. Why did I miss? Because I was rushing & broke the shot when I didn't have an acceptable sight picture. That gives me an opportunity to train visual patience.

What do I do now? Get back on the horse, remember I'm paying good money that I worked hard for so I might as well have fun. On the next (& every) stage I will shoot acceptable sight pictures only.

Good luck, stick with it, you'll be fine B)

Every shot you fire needs your concentration, in that moment. In other words, last week's target means nothing. Last stage target means nothing. All that matters is the shot you are firing while you fire it.

I have had what you described happen 2-3 times since I started shooting again at my range. Out of 60 times out this year, I have had 2-3 where -if I focused on them- I probably wouldn't have kept shooting. Lol

Perfect example was one of the last times out in fact. All my shots were well within the down zero zone. But I couldn't hit center to save my life. And not only that, but, it was one shot up 3 inches, one shot down 3 inches, etc... Not just a group off center.

I take a break. Refocus on basics. Load one round at a time, and relearn my gun. That will work.

The other thing I did once was after my first shot was off like 6 inches left of center, first shot of the day, I said "F it! Whatever." After I let go of "caring", I shot my fastest and cleanest, target up to that point (except that first shot).

The most important thing you can do, is follow Brian Enos advice, and stay aware of each shot, at the time you are shooting. I focus on this more than anything. Letting my mind be clear and just observe the sight, the target, and subconscious trigger squeeze... If you are doing it right you will see the muzzle flash. As Brian said: "How can you claim your sight was on target if you don't see the muzzle flash?"

In other words: If you blink or whatever and miss the flash, you also may have moved the gun slightly while in the blink during trigger squeeze.

Seems to me that you having found that "zone" or "peace" or "awareness" lately where the only thing on your mind is NOTHING, and you are just watching/observing what the sight/target are telling you etc...

If you have ever pulled the trigger, and fired a round, and before you see the hole, you KNOW it was a bad shot (the gun moved and you fired anyway etc...) then THAT is the awareness I speak of. The "bad shot" means nothing, because you were aware that you messed up before the bullet even left the gun.

The best shooters (or other athletes) in the World can get into that awareness regardless. Divorce. Life's chaos... Whatever, won't affect the best shooters or racecar drivers etc... Because they are able to "shut off" the other problems and just stay in 100% awareness of the sight/target etc...

I learned parts of that from racing motocross. If I am thinking about a girl or money or work I would end up on my face... Motocross is 100% awareness, scanning ahead, etc etc... Split second decisions. Or you get hurt. Shooting is the same "constant read/react and nothing else is important" until you stop those shots.

So if you are the type to hold onto failure. Or be mad all weekend because you shot bad Friday afternoon... Then you could see how your mind can't focus "in the moment".

I never judge a target until I leave. And on top of that, I never truly judge a target. If you let a bad first shot determine your mood, you may as well tear up a $20 bill, because if you can't "Shake It Off" (Sorry Taylor Swift haters) then you will never find that "zone" of letting your eyes and sight and target picture dictate the shots, per shot.

So try a few day break. Try an "F this!" And just let the shots fly. Or start with 1 round per magazine (with ONE magazine) to force a "slow down" type relaxed shooting. All 3 have helped me. So they may work for you.

The biggest concern (if you understand the "awareness" I mentioned) is your "expecting to win, based on past matches" mindset. A target is not the Mona Lisa. You don't shoot a great target or great match and are able to do that same performance for the rest of your life. It's on a match by match, shot by shot, split second by split second awareness.

In other words, your last shot has nothing to do with the next. Awareness and solid fundamentals are everything. So your last match has nothing to do with your next.

The best results will come from staying in the moment and getting each shot right.

You can bet your behind that Jessie Duff, Tori Nonaka, Julie Golob, Rob Leatham, etc etc etc aren't relying on World Championships to win the next one.

They are taking it stage by stage, shot by shot.

I would try and do the same. And I wouldn't change guns. Because you have done well before. It's you, not the gun. My Glock won't make me an A shooter one day and a C shooter the next. It's all based on ME. And what happens "in the moment, every moment".

Hope this helps!

One other problem I've done:

The opposite of what you describe. Once you get on a roll and shoot better, if you let that into your mind too much, you might miss by inches.

Example:

Shot 1 = Great

Shot 2 = Great

Shot 3 = Great

Before Shot 4, you consciously think "Oh my goodness! I have 3 bullets holes overlapping!"

Now if you "control your excitement" you may recover and shot 4 = Great.

But if your inner voice says: "Wow. 3 bullets touching! And then goes further: "Ok I will do great at the next match!" And then starts racing: "Oh my goodness, I will be on team Glock!" And "What color should my slide be on my Signature Model Glock????"

At that point your concious thoughts block out your awareness and Shot 4 = Junk.

That is a dramatic example on purpose. But, shooting well can mess you up as bad as shooting poorly sometimes...

It's all one in the same. You just need to keep that awareness regardless.

If you don't, you will fail hard while leading a match, let alone failing because you shoot badly.

Stay out of the Judging. And just shoot.

I took Matt Burkett's advice and starting shooting at 45 yards. It was a cluster f$^#$^k at first. I had hanging steel at little bigger than the A zone. After I settled down -- I was running around 90% hits. This is from a draw. It was a learning experience. It really taught me visual patience and trigger control. Now it is rare for me to get less than 95%.

I had a friend out a couple months ago shooting my SV SS at 56 yards--lasered it--she was a D class shooter (but precision rifle skilled) and she was banging a full size USPSA target at 65%. She has very good trigger control.

WOW, thinking about it, I might do some distance work tomorrow. I did dot drills today.

Here was the deal for me. Knowing I could hit the target at 50 yards was a huge boost to my self-confidence. This is in-sync with what Lanny preaches.

Just seconding this. By far my biggest confidence boosts came when I did more than half my practice at 50 and 25 yards exclusively.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that just taking a break helps me get back in the groove.

I am the type that tends to become consumed by whatever it is that holds my interest at the time. It used to be work, but I retired after 42 years on the job, and it became shooting.

Recently I was in a slump very similar to the one described by the OP of this thread. So I just quit shooting and dry firing for about a month and let my interest in off-road driving and UTV's be the "thing that consumed me". My participation in shooting related forums dropped way off, I didn't read any periodicals about shooting, and I didn't visit any gun stores. I focused my free time on some UTV projects.

When I decided to return to shooting, I had an almost lackadaisical approach to the outcome . . . . I really wasn't worried about how I finished. I just wanted to enjoy the day of shooting in the company of some friends. And I shot one of the best matches I have shot in a year.

I'm going to continue to dry to dial down the intensity and look for more enjoyment, and I am optimistic I will enjoy shooting more, which is really what it is all about, anyway!

Just as Brian described . . . . . "I cared too much about the outcome."

Life is what you make it. It can be stressful, unfulfilling, and short. It can also be pleasant, rewarding, and last a long time.

After a couple of years trying hard, in the competitive shooting arena, I chose to accept my slow progress and enjoy myself. Funny thing is, I have shot better over the past year than ever before.

I look forward to every match and thoroughly enjoy my hobby . . . come what may.

A healthy attitude! After all, this ought to be fun!

When your eyesight goes to the dumper, and your reflexes slow down with age, you will be proud as hell of having been an A shooter. Focus on today, is what will get you there tomorrow. Cuz, brother, when you think about it, it can vanish in a second. Ask any disabled vet.

Hey everyone I've been away from the internet for several days. I appreciate all the replies.

Gooldylocks... When I read your post and remembered how I felt as you described - it was simply because I cared too much about the outcome.

I think this is what I'm going to try to do tomorrow. I haven't dry fired, shot, or even really picked up my gun in a few weeks now because I was moving, then on vacation, and had just a whole list of things to do. So I am gonna go into the match with no expectations, and only try to shoot a clean match with no penalties. That is at this point my only goal. Whatever happens from there on, I'm going to just try to accept it and focus on having fun.

Your issues are very familiar to me. The hardest mental challenge of competing is exactly what you are struggling with. It's okay to be results driven and oriented, but if it affects how you feel about yourself and your life there is a problem. I went through this exact problem playing another sport. When I performed poorly, which became frequent, and I was being beaten by others I felt should not beat me and when I was continually making "stupid" mistakes that caused poor results I let it affect how I felt about myself and it would ruin my state of mind for days at a time.

This is exactly why I quit the other sport and decided to finally try organized shooting. I am now much more interested in the shooting process and enjoy both tanking stages and running them well. I am still driven by results, but I am 100% content and accepting of sub-par performances. The results do not affect my outlook on myself and my life. This is why shooting has been good for me.

You have to realize when you truly have the capability to perform consistently at a high level and under pressure it will come out. Until that happens you are not there and cannot expect it to happen. I promise you will get there easier if you relax, turn it loose, and allow yourself to be content with the outcome before it happens, whether that is a stage/match win or a zero.

I hope my ability to be accepting of competitive shooting outcomes can transfer into other arenas of my life where I strive for results. Not only does it enhance performance, but it allows me to be content as a person.

If you can't do this with shooting, take a break, experiment somewhere else. Things may change and you may gain a new perspective that will help in the future. At least, this is my personal experience.

Holy crap man, your "rant" just NAILED what I've been going through. I just started doing this last October (2014) and hit B class a couple months ago. I feel like I keep improving, but recently, I keep going to matches and if things don't go perfectly (they NEVER do) I get absolutely furious and do nothing but bitch and complain. I wake up and do an hour of dry fire every single morning at 5am. E-v-e-r-y d-a-y. I feel like I'm working SO hard, yet I seem to be getting worse. Ever since I hit "B" (I shot 6 classifiers in a row, all A or B class scores) I have bombed, literally BOMBED, every classifier since. For the last two MONTHS. It's absolutely infuriating, because I know I'm capable of shooting A-class scores.

To compound the issues, I hang around and shoot with the best shooters in my area. All Master or A class guys, and I go out and expect to be able to shoot just as good as them. Which only results in infuriating disappointment every time, not to mention making me unpleasant to hang out with or shoot with. Not a good combo. I raced downhill mountain bikes for 14 years, and I NEVER got hung up on what my competitors were doing, keeping up, etc. I just focused on what I needed to do. I don't know why I've suddenly felt like I "have to be as good as these guys". Probably because I see their improvement moving so quickly, and expect me to be able to do the same.

I also find that I AM emotionally coupled to my shooting performance. It's like I KNOW I can be an excellent shooter, so I absolutely PILE pressure on myself. I have gone home absolutely IRATE a few times lately (I never ever ever let anything get to me, or blow up, which makes this that much more concerning) because of my performance. It's probably tied into the ego thing. I feel better having written this out, and to know someone else is going through the same thing. Somehow shooting has come to mean a lot to me, and I don't want to keep feeling like my performance is NEVER good enough, and not really enjoy it anymore. I need to keep reading these posts, there seems to be a lot of sound advice here.

you are caring about the wrong things .....stop focusing on your results .... they don't matter .... what matters is the process of shooting. Focus on executing perfect shooting techniques and results take care of themselves ...

you are caring about the wrong things .....stop focusing on your results .... they don't matter .... what matters is the process of shooting. Focus on executing perfect shooting techniques and results take care of themselves ...

I know this intellectually, but I too have just reached the point where theoretically, if I do everything right, I COULD win the match. Thanks to the OP for posting this, because until I read it I didn't realize the exact problem. In my head I was good enough to win the match, and when I didn't I was very disappointed (expectations vs reality). However - after reading this I've realized my ego was in my way, and I'm scoring exactly where I need to be scoring right now.

I went to a new club last weekend and therefore had no expectations of where I might finish, as I had no idea who I was shooting against or their skill. I was able to focus purely on the process, and it turned out well. Not perfect, and I didn't win the match - but it was a good representation of my current skill. That's all I want.

Thanks OP - as usual, it sounds like we are all fighting the same problem, and all thinking we're the only ones having it! Hopefully I can contnue to keep my ego at bay and just focus on the process.

if you typically shoot better in training then matches and can't duplicate those results in a match shooting more bullets won't help. You need to work on your mental program until you can duplicate training results at a match on command. what good is it to be able to shoot GM scores in training if you shoot B level scores in a match? you have to be working on the right problem ....

In the early years of competing, I expected my match performance to be the same as or better than my practice runs. That led to a lot of frustrations. Later I learned not to equate my practice runs to match performance and learned not to expect anything. The results were amazing. There were even instances when I felt I shot better in match stages than I did in practice drills or cofs. And Im glad this mindset didnt leave me to this day. My usual advice to my friends who suffer from such dilemma is: once you stand at LAMAR, forget everything you practiced. If you practiced it enough trust yourself it will be there whenever you need it. If not, no amount of effort or magic will make you shoot better today, so stop stressing yourself about it and instead decide to practice better after the match.

All good stuff from HeartGlockage.

Later I learned not to equate my practice runs to match performance and learned not to expect anything. The results were amazing.

More good stuff. Without expectations, "doing" will hit full stride.

• 3 weeks later...

Just some words from my side:

- enjoy shooting, have fun running through a COF and accept the challenges there

- don't ever look at the outcome, pick positive things from each and every stage. Forget about the negative ones. As soon as the bullet leave the muzzle it's done.

- see a match as a check-up of your training status, providing you vital inputs for your training. You will never be much better in a match as during your training session. Never! You just can perfrom -very likely- worse by not having the right mindset.

- understand: by getting negative or nervous or too much tension you give anyone else an advantage. Stay cool and smart.

- do a match rev up, start your lessons learned with positive things. And if that's just one good shot, write it down.

- don't give up, work on yourself, succeeding or even porceedign in a sport pays off soo much in your whole life.....

Last match I succeeded over my trainign buddy for the first time, he did one bad shot in the beginning and stepped right into that evil circle of pushing more....failing again....it's like motorcycle racing: forget about the last corner, think about the next one...and the next one.....

I was going through the same thing a few months back, I would leave the match frustrated and wondering why I even went. I started reading Brains book and listening to Steve Anderson's pod cast. I started a regular dry fire practice schedule, I don't get to do much live fire practice. I have also made the mental change from i am going to the match to try and win my division to I am going to the match to see my sights and call every shot. Since then my scores have improved and my confidence has also.

I was going through the same thing a few months back, I would leave the match frustrated and wondering why I even went. I started reading Brains book and listening to Steve Anderson's pod cast. I started a regular dry fire practice schedule, I don't get to do much live fire practice. I have also made the mental change from i am going to the match to try and win my division to I am going to the match to see my sights and call every shot. Since then my scores have improved and my confidence has also.

Excellent work on all that. And yes, keep the goal on something you can actually do, rather than on something you hope might happen.

Right-if you aren't able to enjoy and appreciate the process, the results will always be less than satisfactory on some level. Once you get into the cycle of "it's never enough", it's really hard to break.

All great posts and so very true. The higher your expectations are on the results, the worse you will do at shooting, because you are focusing on the wrong thing.

Heres a prime example to illustrate this:

I know a shooter who is a high A, just about to go Master. Last year when I was a low C, I could beat him in limited division about 75% of the time. This year, as a B, heading towards an A, he's no longer in the same class as me. He is always many shooters down in division ranking and competes with the C guys. Why you ask? Because his sole focus is on classifiers. All he practices is classifiers. He spends all week shooting this weekends classifier, hence why he classifies so high. When it comes to actual field skills and transitions in a field course, he is horrible. He goes to area every year and leaves angry and frustrated because he doesn't even finish overall within his classification.

Moral of the story, become a well rounded shooter, then you will be good overall. When you only focus on one thing, you will only be good at only that one thing.

The best thing that helped me with my mental game was and still is, re-reading the first half of Brian Enos's Practical Shooter when I become mentally bogged down. Oh and calming down. No one can do anything well when they are stressed, tense, and spun up.

Edited by cactusbrew