Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mover REAR sight

RippinSVT

Has anybody experimented with a mover rear sight, or is there some geometrical snafu I'm missing? I know Warren makes a great front mover, but my Metallic gun will mostly be a backup rig to experiment with (and shoot multigun agg) and I don't plan to dump much cash into it. It seems to me that I could figure out a way to machine a rear windage screw with a knob and some stops and accomplish what I need. What am I missing here, besides that I could impact my true zero and I'd have to find that first, then work on leads. What I'm referring to is basically a standard adjustable rear target sight (Aristocrat, Bomar, etc) with a thumbscrew instead of a flathead slot. If I'm a huge dumbass, let me know...I'm just a tinkerer who plays cowboy.

I spent a year trying to figure out a good way to make a mover rear sight. It could be done, but complicated because of already having windage and elevation adjustments. Finally I realized that the simple answer was to do it on the front sight which was just sitting there doing nothing. It took another 6 months to figure out a compact, easy to use, reliable front sight.

For any mover sight you will need repeatable adjustable stops and a positive way to return exactly to center. The geometry will work fine. The hard part will be making it easy to use and repeatable. Let us know what you come up with. All the Best! :cheers:

Edited by Toolguy

Thanks Warren. I'll experiment with whatever adjustable rears I might have sitting around. Also, I have a Piatt shroud that needs a mover base added, can I send it to you to be cut down and have the base installed?

Shot my mover rear sight at Bianchi this year. Showed it around a bit. My first design worked but wasn't as adjustable as I wanted. The second method worked out much better. It's simple, easy to use, easy to adjust (lead) and returns to zero. Sight adjustments are seperate from lead settings. I shoot light, fast bullets out of a 6.2" barrel. My lead distance is much less than say a .45 through a 5" gun. I'm not even close to using the full amount of lead possible. My goal is to be able to do both conversions for existing slides as well as put the mover sight directly onto new slides. Eventually. I'd like to put one on a 6" .45 and see how it does using 185 SWC's.

I shot the full aggregate match on Tuesday, using the mover sight. Re-centered it and went to the practice range to confirm. Shot Practical the next day, one skidder in the 10 ring away from a 478. The design works, so far I have nearly 2k rounds through the gun with no issues. I can't post pics right now, but there are some out there.

One issue with swapping the windage screw out with the thumb screw is durability. I considered that as well. Bomars barely hold together as it is. I ditched any idea that had threads. I wanted rapid movement with zero counting or thought involved. KISS principle. I'm not an engineer so I my solution is simple, and it WORKS.

Thanks for the input Shaun. I had wonder about a small screw snapping/galling with a bunch of back and forth movement. I had considered filing down the rear sight's dovetail to be slightly loose and fitting recessed ball-detents to "click" it back and forth, but that solution doesn't lend itself to much "dialing in" for bullet speed. I'm still thinking...

That was my first attempt. Ditched it. Not enough adjustment and was only as secure as a detent and spring. I wanted a locking mechanism. Problem was, my slide was cut for a Bomar. Elevation screw goes into slide. I made a conversion plate. I'll try to post a pic later.

• 9 months later...

20151204_144713-1.jpg

This is what I used last year. Mover positions are independent from sight adjustments. Three positions. Returns to center zero. Adjustable lead. Move the sight the direction of travel. Target moving to the left, shift the sight left.