Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

old green chrony indoors

My boss gave me his old green chrony and it doesn't have any sky diffusers. I only have a chance to get to the outdoor range on match days but need to test some loads at the indoor range. What do yall suggest for accurate reliable reads? Also what do yall suggest I make some diffusers out of and how tall should I make them? I have seen led strips, pucks, etc but what truly works best?

Incandescent lighting will not work. The chrony will try to measure the flickering.

If you can rig it up, a flashlight over each sky screen shot in a dark range (incandescent lights off) may be work or it may not be worth the effort. It has worked for others but the one time I tried it we just could not get the lights oriented just right to give us a reading.

An improvised diffuser can be made with welding rods and poster board. Cut and bend the rods so the poster board is about 18" above the chrony. Duct tape the rods to the poster board.

If you want something nicer than poster board, you can pick up lense material for overhead lights at Home Depot or Lowes. I think they come in 2' x 4' sheets for around $10.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Fluorescent lights will not work, incandescent lights will.

Example:

My Oehler accessory light kit uses incandescent bulbs - display case bulbs - and has worked with them when shooting indoors for many years.