Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are your goals for USPSA shooting?

jbultman

What are your goals for a USPSA match? How do these help you improve your ability, classification, speed, score, etc.?

For me I have 5. I found them on a site somewhere a while back, can't remember where but, they are helping. They sound easier than they actually are, and build upon each other. Which I like...

#1 --your gun runs every stage 100%

#2 --shoot 90% or better of the possible points on each and every stage

#3 --fire a minimum of make up/extra shots

#4 --no misses, no no-shoots and no procedurals

#5 --figure out an efficient plan to run each stage and stick with it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like them except #3 is too vague ..how do you know if you've met it? How about something like "see your sights on every shot"?

The way I think of it is... The goal is zero, ideally I don't want to make up Abby shot. It saves time.. But I see what your saying. However, there are times when you don't have to see your sights on every shot. I know 7yds and in I can point shoot. I don't have to look through the notch and post sight to know I've hit the A-zone.

At my sixth club match, I achieved goal number 4 (no misses, no no-shoots, no procedurals). The effect this had on my score was wonderful. Just knowing I can tighten up where my shots are landing consistently across all five stages feels really good.

An additional goal for me, besides the 5 listed by the OP, is to avoid silly tactical errors. So far I've started almost every stage with 8+1, but on one stage where I planned to load 8+1, I didn't. I shot an 8-round string to an unintended slide lock. I don't give myself any slack even though it was the last stage of a very hot night. I know better by now. This mistake is close to "figure out an efficient plan...and stick with it." Part of sticking with your plan is to not make a simple mistake like starting out with a different number of rounds in your gun than your plan calls for.

Edited by GunBugBit

My goals are more long term. One classification step per year.

That's only a max of a five year plan??? Then what???? [emoji317]

Hi-Power, you have too much confidence in me -- make it to GM in 5 years?! L[emoji16] L! I'll probably get stuck in B for a few years, A few more years, M stands for Maybe? GM makes cars! So you see it's looonnnggg term... Edited by SayHelloToMyLittleFriend

• 5 weeks later...

I would ad; never, ever run your gun to slide lock.

Why? In production you are often moving while reloading so it may be advantageous to go to slide lock vs make a standing reload. I don't make a habit of it, but it occasionally happens.

I would ad; never, ever run your gun to slide lock.

There have been some practice stages where we were limited to 6 or 8 shots per box, and because I lost count of my shots, I would have been better off downloading my mags to the max number of rounds. Noticing that I need a slide drop and executing it doesn't take much time, although more than some will accept. I'll live with that over procedurals.

Or I could just learn to count.

Edited by GunBugBit

I only have two goals during a match. The First is to always strive to get the gun/sights on target as soon as possible. The Second is to be visually patient enough to call every single shot. If I do those two things the whole process will go as effective and efficient as it possibly can.

This may seem super basic, but its really does not have to be more complex than that.

there is a subtle hint here that you should recognize whenever you talk to a top shooter ..... the best shooters focus on the process of shooting ... things like: "get the gun/sights on target as fast as I can" & "call ever shot".

The rank & file shooter focuses on results and just hopes he does everything right ....

there is a hint in there somewhere ....

Nimitz nailed it from Cha-lee's post.

Goals are not result oriented, they are steps and processes.

Keep your goal list short and measurable and on track with the steps it takes to reach a result you want.

For instance, "keep the gun running 100%" What does that mean?

Maybe a goal like, "find a bullet that feeds well and don't change it" will be a better way to keep the gun running... along with all the other things we have to do like clean it.

Also, never add a never to a goal. They can ONLY be positive.

someone said "never run the gun dry." To me that's "make sure to have a solid reload plan in for every stage breakdown." or something similar that's a step to net the result of not running out of ammo.

Read Lanny Bassham's, With Winning in Mind and you'll see what I mean.

Also read these:

Brian Enos, Beyond Fundamentals.

Steve Anderson, get to work.

how many times have you heard someone say ...."my goal is to not hit any noshoots" or "not to miss" .... guess what they are training themselves to do?

Edited by Nimitz