Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using range pickup brass - Do you sort? Exclude some? Precautions?

LeviSS

I sort by head stamp.

I try and keep the largest groups of quality brass, and give the rest away to others.

My workflow is as follows, and seems to weed out any issues that would cause problems during loading of ammo.

Dry tumble

Sort by head stamp (cull alum, steel, 9x18/9x21/9x23/etc)

Deprime/resize (with lube, this weeds out any items that might have slipped through the sort process)

Wet tumble/dry

Reload on s1050

Case gauge/inspect (weeds out cracked cases, upside down or missing primers, and any length or crimp issues)

Shoot

Repeat

~g

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It tickles me the number of shooters who will spend $2,000.00-$5.000.00 on a fine firearm and want to scrimp using "range pickup" brass! Buy the good stuff and never look back. Mark it so you know it came from your gun originally and you'll never have problems. The other way is false economics.

Alan~^~

It tickles me the number of shooters who will spend $2,000.00-$5.000.00 on a fine firearm and want to scrimp using "range pickup" brass! Buy the good stuff and never look back. Mark it so you know it came from your gun originally and you'll never have problems. The other way is false economics.

Alan~^~

Hey, do what works for you. I really don't have any issues once I figured out my system. It works for me.

Yeah that sounds like a lot of work to sort by headstamp. I usually deprime, wet tumble, inspect, and load. I do toss stepped cases but other than that.... Oh and the crimped stuff goes in another bucket in case I'm ever short brass or it does make good trading fodder sometimes.