Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using range pickup brass - Do you sort? Exclude some? Precautions?

LeviSS

When using range-scavenged brass do you sort brass into groups by headstamp? Do you use or not use certain brass? What precautions do you use, if any, before beginning the loading process?

I've been picking up brass after my IDPA matches. I just want to make sure I'm using enough caution to ensure the brass is good to load. Anything to watch for?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't throw any away anymore - after living thru a bullet shortage, and a primer

shortage, and now a powder shortage, I'm waiting for the cartridge case shortage.

But, I cull out any military unless it looks like it has already been reloaded, since

I can't remove crimped primers.

I cull out S&B, A-Merc's, and any brass that has NT on it (Win NT, eg).

If it looks like it's been out in the rain too long (gets a funny color), I cull it.

Any splits, or evidence that the previous shooter loaded Way Too Hot.

But, I have a lifetime supply of brass. :cheers:

I pull out any Ammoload, IMT, or any of the stepped rounds. I sort all of my brass using the plastic that came in .45 acp boxes of ammo which makes this very simple. When you put the rounds in the plastic headstamp down look into the case and these rounds will have a step half way down the case. I throw these into a separate box and will load them when I know I will loose the brass, but I have seen enough pictures of cases separating at that location that I don't trust them for multiple reloadings.

I never look at the head stamps, I just sort the different calibers into different buckets, usually tumble...but not always, reload and go. The only time I take notice is if a primer fails to seat or the round fails the case gauge.

Edited by DefiantMenace

There is nothing wrong at all with S&B, but they are a little tight on the primer stroke. Win NTs are fine also, some of the early Fed NTs were crimped. Stay away from the stepped brass, IMT, Ammoload and Freedom Munition, the case will separate in the barrel. AMerc got the reputation for blowing up Glocks and FrontSite banned its use.

If you don't inspect your cases, either at point of use, or pre-sorted, you will jam up the reloader eventually. In my experience StarLine and Speer are the best of the best brass.

I noticed crushed primers with S&B when I used Tula, Winchester or federal primers. I stick to CCI now and haven't had an issue with tight pockets.

I do avoid the stepped brass but toss them in my "to be recycled" brass bucket along with spent primers.

Pretty good advice so far. I sort by headstamp for a lot of reasons. It practically forces me to do a pretty good inspection of every case since I first look inside each case and then flip it over to look at headstamp. I also like to reload a batch of ammo knowing exactly how the press should feel on each stroke. To a small degree all headstamps feel different when you seat a primer. If I am flying along and all of a sudden a primer seat feels funny I know to stop and check it out. When you have it all mixed together every stroke can feel different so you can end up with junk ammo with high primers etc.

To top it off I gauge every single round I make. This is another step in the inspection process. Split cases won't go in my 100 round gauge at all.

There are a couple of ammo companies, mainly freedom munitions, that make their brass on a type of machine that skips a couple of steps. This leaves a ledge in the case about half way down on the inside. If you do a google search you can find some pictures of it. The headstamps I have run across are "Ammoload" and "*IMT*". As previously mentioned the area at the edge of the ledge is a weak point and the case can separate leaving the front half stuck in the chamber and a trip to the gunsmith.

i do no sorting other than the most elemental. no steel, no berdan, no cracks, no aluminum as these shouldn't even make it off the ground and into my bag.. i normally have around 60-100lbs of 9mm brass at a time so doing anything other than a go/no go sorting process wastes my time.

and as mentioned, yeah, this sometimes leads to issues when loading, (i use a 1050) but i'm fine with dealing with any issue on the back end rather than front loading it.

while reloading if i missed a cracked or split case that obviously goes out. or something odd slipping by like .380 or makarov or something odd. or sometimes cases that have been in a lot of gravel and stepped on are just too beat up. but again, i do this all on the back end.

I sort by headstone as well.

WCC, Aguila, S&B get separated into one group.

Ammoload, IMT, other stepped brass, and CCI Aluminum get separated into another.

The first group gets swaged and then added to the 2nd group, then loaded, every round is case gauged, then used for lost brass matches.

The rest get loaded for practice ammo. Bulk loaded, not case gauged, shot, cleaned, and shot again.

The only ones I don't keep are the Berdan primed cases or steel.

Edited by AJE

I cull the stepped cases mentioned. I cull CBC because the case walls thicken closer to the mouth. I load 147s for a short chambered. CBC won't case gauge 40% of the time

Yep..........I have the same problem with CBC. To the scrap pile it goes along with all that the others have said.

Mostly just sort to pick out cracked cases. The only thing I reload in range pick ups is minor or sub-minor loads so I'm overly concerned with pressure.

I usually catch the cracked ones by the sound.

9 Minor. Careful QC before running in a 1050/Mr. Bullet Feeder.

Not culling anything currently but may change my mind.

Sort, QC for steel, alum, non-9mm, rocks, etc. Wet process, dehydrator dry.

Re-sort and check for pins in primer pockets, dinged case mouths, 9mm only.

Pour back and forth in handfuls listening for split cases.

Occasionally a split case AFTER loading - maybe I'm missing them or they are cracking during sizing/belling.

Some issues with case gauging - worst around here lately are crimped primer brass with red primer pocket sealant.

I cull these for practice and to date all of them have shot fine in my Tanfo anyhow.

I pick out any steel or aluminum cases then tumble all the brass cases together

After I tumble I sort out any pieces with crimped primer pockets, stepped brass (Ammoland, IMT, FM), Tula, and Aguila and separate them whatever is left I load

been reloading range pickup brass since I started shooting 3 years ago at 20,000-25,000 a year and except for throwing away cases that have obvious damage I do no sorting whatsoever ..

pickup

sort by caliber & discard obvious bad cases

tumble

load