Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bushing or bull for 6" 40

fastarget

Thank you all for the input, I need to find one of each and see how they handle for her. The fluted bull might be a compromise between the two weights, but not many smiths offer these.

Is it more than 2 oz difference between bushing or bull?

Ive had both, 6in fluted bull and 6in bushing, both with light slides. I liked the bushing gun much better, the bull barred gun always dipped. The bushing gun was much faster and flatter. Remember too that the 6in gun needs a different load, I always used 165 gr bullets with the 6in opposed to 180s with the 5 in guns..

I am thinking to build with a bushing, and if she needs more weight to tame the gun initially use a tungsten rod, which we can take out as the skills improve.

Larry thanks for the suggestion regarding the bullet weight, I have been doing a fair amount of searching, it seems more skilled shooters are going with the lighter weight bullets, the powder charge looks substantially lower than a 5" as well. Thank you all.

Bushing barrel for me. My Benny gun has been awesome. Great balance. Tried a bull barrel with spiral cuts on the barrel and it was good too. 180 bbis for me, nice accurate load with titegroup.

Edited by bulm540

Just got this back from getting it black nitrided. This is what I like. I wanted a heavy, soft shooting pistol. It weighs 43.5 oz with the brass magwell. My buddy at D2 customs in Punxsutawney, Pa did the work.a

A guy at the club has one like that, lightened slide with a heavy bull barrel, I shot it a couple of time and really liked the set up

I built my gun prior to the current rule book and I went with a 6" bushing barrel to keep the gun from being muzzle heavy, also with the bull barrels,if you ran a 6" guide rod and reverse plug, it was a PITA to take apart.

• 1 year later...

I recently shot my STI Eagle 6.0 Bull BBL .40 w/full length dust cover alongside an STI Eagle 6.0 Bushing BBL w/standard dust cover + slide lightening.

Keep in mind I run a 9LB recoil spring and he runs a 13LB, but the difference in muzzle rise was HUGE.  The bull barrel was much easier & faster to shoot. I'm 6'4", 205LBS so the extra weight does not bother me and has helped my transitions immensely.

Just my 2 cents, but I prefer my other 5" guns to his 6" lightened slide.