Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First USPSA Match - Gun Choice, Holster Questions

kf4zht

A work friend invited me to try USPSA, and with matches less than 5 minutes from my house I figured it would be fun. I shoot 2-3 times a month, mostly pistol on steel so it seems like a good chance to test my skills. I am a little questioning my gun choice

Option 1: MP 9

Advantages - Most common gun that I shoot, have a good holster (Blade Tech)

Disadvantage - Only 2 Mags, so need a couple more at $25-30 each, has a factory threaded barrel so it might fall outside the "Production" rules

Option 2: Sig P226

Advantages: Better trigger in SA mode, have 5 total mags already

Disadvantages: Holster may not work, I am concerned that the trigger section does not cover enough. Not sure if anyone can comment, this is with the trigger in SA Mode

post-60572-0-12043100-1434326700_thumb.j

Option 3: Kimber C2 1911

Advantages: Best gun I shoot with, have 5-6 mags

Disadvantages: May need holster - same concerns as the sig and will need mag pouches

post-60572-0-45950700-1434326842_thumb.j

I need magazine pouches for the Sig/MP but I found some I can print with my 3d printer than seem plenty sturdy to last a match. If the SIG holster works I think its the winner since there is no outlay, but if it doesn't its a toss up between the 3. In that case I would lean more toward the MP, extra mags are always good and its more likely to be a gun I would use in the future if I like it.

Any advice, recommendations, etc are appreciated.

Also - I reload both 9 and 45, however would you recommend a new shoot use factory ammo first time out just to eliminate issues. I very rarely have reload issues but I dont like tempting Murphy.

I'd go with the 226. It looks like the holster should be okay, I think this is the relevant rule, if you can't pull the trigger then this seems to indicate that your holster is ok.

5.2.7.4 A holster which does not completely prevent access to, or activation of, the trigger while holstered.

What does the Sig look like in DA mode? You seem to indicate that you will shoot in Production division so the gun will never be in the holster in SA mode!

From Appendix D4 of the USPSA Rule Book

Special conditions:
— Handguns with external hammers must be fully decocked at the start signal,

Welcome to the forum! You are gonna love the match!

I'd suggest checking on holsters at the match for what people in SS are using and then break down and buy one and some mag pouches and shoot SS. You indicate the gun you shoot best is the 1911.

Shoot whatever you have equipment for in your first match and go slow. Initially you will learn more that way than trying to go too fast and having problems.

Here is the sig in da mode. The trigger is not visible at all.

post-60572-143433361061_thumb.jpg

I think long term I will end up in single stack. Probably will end up picking up another 1911, this one is going to be my 460r conversion. I will be watching what others are using before starting down that path.

Sounds like for now the sig will be my best way to run with little investment

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Here is the sig in da mode. The trigger is not visible at all.

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1434333629640.jpg

I think long term I will end up in single stack. Probably will end up picking up another 1911, this one is going to be my 460r conversion. I will be watching what others are using before starting down that path.

Sounds like for now the sig will be my best way to run with little investment

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Perfect! have a good match!

I have to go with the Kimber, since it's "the best gun I shoot with". :cheers:

Why shoot a gun you don't shoot as well?

Current lack of mags that I trust. The SIG I can try without having to buy anything now that the holster question is answered. If I like it there is no doubt I will be stocking up on some good mags with decent base plates. Plus I don't shoot bad with the sig by any means, if anything it has better sights for followup.

• 5 weeks later...