Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new 929 carry up

Ignatz

I just recieved my new 929 and noticed while cocking the hammer single action, one cylinder does not lock in. I have to slightly turn it to lock in. Double action the momention locks it in.

I decided to fire it to see how accurate it was, and with ammo or spent shells in it, everything locks in ok. Once the cases are out of the gun, the one cylinder does not lock up.

Do you think its ok to use it, or should this be addressed?

Thanks, Rob

Not real sure but I believe the rounds in the cylinder makes the ratchets line up better. But a real gunsmith will post shortly ???

The cases in the chambers keep the ratchet (which is part of the extractor star) in alignment. Timing should only be evaluated in this condition, as you would fire it.

With cases removed, the ratchet can have enough play to present the appearance of late-timing.

Older smiths had alignment pins between the ejector star and cylinder which kept them pretty tight together, but newer guns use a cheaper design. It relies on the brass to hold the star well aligned to the cylinder so carry up tests have to be done with brass in place.

I will say this: with fired brass in tubes, I would repeat the test on the questionable cylinder while applying a very slight drag on the front cylinder face with a finger tip and make sure that tube carries up which simulates the greater load the cylinder will have carrying loaded rounds. If not, it might need fixing. I am always suspicious when a new gun shows up with a problem only on one cylinder position.

Edited by bountyhunter

The old system of aligning the ejector was likely more precise, but the two pins can be damaged if you remove the ejector rod without empties in the chambers. The new system, where the ejector is a square that is machined into the rear of the cylinder, allows more rotational slop but is less prone to damage.

Also on the old ones with 2 pins, the holes were in a slightly different place on each cylinder. This makes interchangability difficult. Sometimes one or both pins would fall out and get lost. Each system has good and bad points. They both work reasonably well.