Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which CZ for IDPA?

hlpressley

Looking for some direction as to which CZ you all would recommend for IDPA. I have looked at many websites and searched many hours and to be honest I am almost as confused now than before I started. :goof: There seems to be so many options! I have very little experience with the CZ platform outside of shooting a few stock guns. With that said, which would you guys recommend? Should I pick up a new stock gun and send it in to CZC, CGW, AA etc? Or, just buy one already done up from one of the aforementioned mentioned shops? Which shop would you all recommend?

Oak Hill Guns seems to have good pricing on the SP-01 Shadow..

http://oakhillguns.com/pistol/cz-usa/cz-75-sp-01-shadow-9mm-custom.html

Is this what I should be looking at or one of the higher end Shadows in the $1300+ price range from CZC?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by hlpressley

Below is a write up I did for a CGW SP-01 Tactical. My recommendation is to spend more money on getting better by buying ammo. That stock Shadow with a couple of low cost upgrades like changing out springs will go a long way. kneelingatlas, who puts together a great thread on how to tune you CZ, he posts a link in my thread, says his favorite DA/SA hammer is the stock Shadow hammer. The 75 pre-B or CGW Type 1 disconnectors are "drop in" and are good additions. My CGW SP-01 Tactical with all the goodies was around $1150 shipped. You can't go wrong with a stock Shadow and some DIY. The Shadow is very easy to work on.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=214500&hl=%2Bsp%26amp%3B%23820801+%2Btactical#entry2390427

Edited by brisix

Don't know a lot about IDPA pistol rules, but you did not mention what division or divisions in which you wish to complete.

IDPA section 8.2 and on is a good place to start and then compare CZ pistols to division requirements. Looks like SP01, CZ75s and 85s look like they are all legal in SSP. The 75/85 look to be legal in ESP. The SP01 not. YMMV but don't see the need to spend $1,300 for high end CZs. Would I like one--responding yes. I am competing in USPSA with a stock SP01, fixed competiion rear sight, competition hammer, and good trigger job. And, the pistol is more than enough to shoot well in USPSA. Total investment in the pistol discounting additional mags is approximately $800, maybe less.

A good way to get into this is a stock SP01 or 75/85 Combat. Get a good trigger job done on it and if the IDPA rules allow upgrade the sights to a good low profile fixed or adjustable rear. If you want a 75/85, I would go with the 85 Combat since it does not have a firing pin block safety, which means a better tripper feel. All three pistols you should be able to have them match ready for < $850 and probably much less than that depending on what you have done, and initial price.

Again to say I am a novice about IDPA is an understatement so, my advise with regard to which pistol is allowable in any division could be completely wrong. I did skim through the rules before making my comments.

Personal opinion on CZs are great pistols.

IDPA section 8.2 and on is a good place to start and then compare CZ pistols to division requirements. Looks like SP01, CZ75s and 85s look like they are all legal in SSP. The 75/85 look to be legal in ESP. The SP01 not. YMMV but don't see the need to spend $1,300 for high end CZs. Would I like one--responding yes. I am competing in USPSA with a stock SP01, fixed competiion rear sight, competition hammer, and good trigger job. And, the pistol is more than enough to shoot well in USPSA. Total investment in the pistol discounting additional mags is approximately $800, maybe less.

If it's legal for SSP, it's also legal for ESP and CDP, so the SP-01 is okay with its dust cover >3.25" up until you get to a model with a modification that knocks it out of of SSP. For example, the SP-01 Accu-Shadow and SP-01 Shadow Target. The Accu-Shadow Lite is fine because its dust cover is short enough to qualify for ESP.

Below is a write up I did for a CGW SP-01 Tactical. My recommendation is to spend more money on getting better by buying ammo. That stock Shadow with a couple of low cost upgrades like changing out springs will go a long way. kneelingatlas, who puts together a great thread on how to tune you CZ, he posts a link in my thread, says his favorite DA/SA hammer is the stock Shadow hammer. The 75 pre-B or CGW Type 1 disconnectors are "drop in" and are good additions. My CGW SP-01 Tactical with all the goodies was around $1150 shipped. You can't go wrong with a stock Shadow and some DIY. The Shadow is very easy to work on.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=214500&hl=%2Bsp%26amp%3B%23820801+%2Btactical#entry2390427

Thanks for posting. So after reading that I am gathering a stock SP-01 sent in to CGW can be just as good as a full out custom from CZC?

Don't know a lot about IDPA pistol rules, but you did not mention what division or divisions in which you wish to complete.

A good way to get into this is a stock SP01 or 75/85 Combat. Get a good trigger job done on it and if the IDPA rules allow upgrade the sights to a good low profile fixed or adjustable rear. If you want a 75/85, I would go with the 85 Combat since it does not have a firing pin block safety, which means a better tripper feel. All three pistols you should be able to have them match ready for < $850 and probably much less than that depending on what you have done, and initial price.

Again to say I am a novice about IDPA is an understatement so, my advise with regard to which pistol is allowable in any division could be completely wrong. I did skim through the rules before making my comments.

Personal opinion on CZs are great pistols.

Thank you for the insight. I plan to shoot ESP starting cocked and locked with safety on but also want to keep the gun open to USPSA Production as well. While I have never shot USPSA I do plan to shoot it this year as it is much larger in my area. Most USPSA matches sellout within a couple of hours of registration opening.

Ordered the Shadow from CZC today! Needless to say I am pretty stoked!

Based on some research I see most of you guys use the Bladetech DOH/Black Ice holster. What about mag carriers? I am thinking Comp Tac?

Comp-Tac mag pouches are great for IDPA. When I started, shooting competitions I started with IDPA and went with the Comp Tac international, paddle mag pouches and their leather belt. Great setup for IDPA. I was very pleased. The nice thing about the Comp-Tac International is that you can covert it to DOH for USPSA. Ultimately the blade tech DOH on the boss hanger is the way to go for USPSA along with DA racer pouches and DA belt. At least with the International you can play between both worlds. The International does bind up with DOH during draws. With paddle it is a rock star for IDPA.