Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VP9 sucky reset

ShortBus

My VP9 has had this since new. I called HK and they said they would look at it but they would need it for a while as they were busy. Decided d rather buy another one/fix it myself vs being away from it. I have weird issues about that kind of stuff. Another topic though.

The reset has 2 stages in the reset. But are VERY close together, close enough that I have pulled the trigger

Multiple times and had nothing there. In dry fire, live fire, any kind of fire it will happen once then I make a conscious effort to go a little farther. I've had ppl tell me I shouldn't be riding the reset that close but I disagree. In the video you will see that upon reset it hits a point and "jolts" forward (just like a reset!) but then there is nothing there. You can go back out and it usually picks it up on the second time, which makes me think there is something moving and it gets moved to were it needs to be. It's too late to send it back to HK as I've had it stripped multiple times and have polished things and cut my slide release and shaved the groove in the trigger guard away.

Video is uploading. No idea why phitobucket is so slow.

Well having trouble uploading video but will keep trying. I have two videos, 1 of the trigger resetting and 1 with the slide off watching the trigger bar and disconector. When you pull the trigger the trigger bar moves out away from the connector. I folded up a piece of paper and put it between the connector and trigger bar and put the slide back on and it was a lot better (minus the sucky trigger pull because there is paper in it) so I'm thinking this might be the culprit. Going to compare my buddies VP9.

Will post the videos as soon as I can get them loaded.

Ok I've got the shorter video uploaded. The speaker really picks stuff up good. The TV is far away and not up loud and you can hear my 5 month old fixing to get mad.

http://s400.photobucket.com/user/hook_setter/media/Mobile%20Uploads/trim.9D8E3BF3-57E5-4480-96D0-74A5AD1225FF_zpsmhleuxfo.mp4.html

Edited by Luke205

Yea I'm gonna get rid of mine. No sense in keeping a gun I personally have issues with. My buddy has one and he says I'm an idiot. Few other people's guns I can make do it but they don't. Gonna try a Sig I think.

If you want to stay with the VP9 I suggest sending it to Rick Holm at Grayguns. He does the arguably the best work on HK guns in general. If nothing else you should contact him to ask thin question. Here is LAV's take on a his work:

bY6fR7r.png
http://grayguns.com/gunsmith-services/heckler-koch/vp9-action-cleanup-perfection/

Edited by alma

Thanks for the info Alma, I think I'll send mine off.

Rick Holm doesn't have an account here but asked me to pass on this:

"The problem he describes is pretty common in the VP9, and it usually accompanied by a hard hit to the reset travel as well. I have identified what causes that false reset point, and it is 100% corrected with our action work"

You can contact him at Grayguns.com if you have more questions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a VP9 and had this issue which made rapid fire for me more difficult. Mine was also extremely ammo finicky compared to my other 9mms. With standard Geco ammo that would feed and function in all my other pistols, the VP9 would get jammed up out of battery and require use of a dowel rod from the front end to hammer the round out. I ended up selling it as I felt it was not worth the hassle.

I replaced the sear spring and trigger return spring with the reduced parts from HKparts.net

I'm really digging the trigger. Good break, reset is as good or better than my Glock with ZEV springs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read other users having great results on the trigger work done by Bruce at Gray Guns on HK triggers, espically on the VP9. Also on HK Pro forum a few of the people are complaining about the spring kit not working properly. There is a thread on that site dealing with the problems users are experiencing. Sorry, I didn't read this post first, I posted this also on the VP9 thread above.