Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legal Shadow Parts for IPSC

leemoe83

I've read and re-read the IPSC rule book and my opinion (for what it's worth) is the stainless guide rod is also illegal. I think you'd have a claim that it would be legal if there was a ever a model that came from the factory with it but I can't answer that. I guess i need to shoot a little with the plastic rod just in case I have to change it for the Nationals.

Basically all the parts made by CZ ub are IPSC production division compliant, as are any cz ub parts that are on another cz pistol which is also production compliant (on the list).

For example fitting 85 combat trigger to a shadow is ok.

As to whether they would find a cgw sear? I dunno. If you take off the slide that shiny sear with a grub screw in it will be fairly noticeable. Would they do it at a lvl2? I doubt it. A nationals? Maybe.

The parts you can have.

Sights are free (any brand) but you cannot mill the slide, so they must fit whatever dovetail you gun came with.

Grips are free as long as they match the profile of factory (most popular grips are fine).

From cz ub you can have:

Different recoil springs

Different main springs

Light firing pin spring (rami)

Extended firing pin

Stainless guide rod (with or without the shock buff)

Comp hammer (either narrow or wide version)

Pre-b disco (aka short reset disco)

You can 'fit' parts. Ie remove burrs etc. mirror polished stuff is a no go, though it's accepted that parts do wear and smooth out with use.

Aftermarket mags are ok as are mag bases provides they do not add 'significant' weight over stock. Brass is 100% no go. Nice slim alloy pads ok. Big ones would possibly be not compliant.

Using cz ub parts you can get a pistol about 90% of a fully polished, full on cgw or czc blunged up shadow.

Cz ub have a few 'factory tuned' models which are a good base for an ipsc prod compliant blaster.

Cz shadow orange

Cz shadow mate australia (has the long barrel)

Cz shadow mate Canada (has a few different levels of configuration)

There is one or two other cz shadow mates in Europe too.

From the factory they are more tightly fitted slides, barrel is better fitted and they have a nicer finish more like a cerakote than the super thick polycoat on the regular shadows. The come with most of the cz ub hop up parts fitted, including mags with ipsc compliant bases etc.

If you play uspsa 90% of the time it's probably not worth setting up your gun for ipsc. Though if your serious about over seas comps, world shoots etc. then you probably have 2 pistols anyway. Make one full ipsc legit. Make it your backup for uspsa and your primary for any ipsc match. :)

Oh btw accu bushing are out in ipsc. :(

So can any IPSC shooters clarify how these rules are enforced? I will probably never shoot an IPSC match but i'm honestly curious. It seems like it must be more of an honor system kind of thing, seeing there's no way of having a manufacturers parts list for every production division handgun.

Edited by bockerSV

So can any IPSC shooters clarify how these rules are enforced? I will probably never shoot an IPSC match but i'm honestly curious. It seems like it must be more of an honor system kind of thing, seeing there's no way of having a manufacturers parts list for every production division handgun.

It seems like they concentrate on learning the more popular pistols or "the hot new pistol" and know more about those than others. After that I would think they also focus on the higher finishing shooters and maybe scrutinize their equipment a little closer. It does seem like it's more about the honor system though. I'd kind of guess if someone is shooting a bunch of IPSC matches and finishing well with a pistol that hasn't been on the approved list very long someone at IPSC is going to become familiar with the internals of that particular model before people shoot too many level 3's with it, but that's really just an assumption.

Yes it's the honor system. At level 3 or level 4 matches they may also do gun checks. I'd say mostly people just play by the rules. Usually it's not the top guys who cheat anyway. That goes for most amateur or semi-pro sports in my experience.

I would agree on the "honor system". I have a Shadow which is fitted with a DPM recoil spring. This makes it illegal for production division. I suppose I could shoot PD, as it is not easy to spot, but this is cheating so I moved to Standard Division (which allows all these mods, plus a full mag. Production division only allows 15 rounds in the mag).

The competitors in my area are very experienced and even without mentioning that I had replaced the recoil spring, I had some asking me on how it performed. So even though at lower level matches the guns are not checked for internal modifications, there are far too many experienced people that will spot the "intruder".

On another note, if you really want to use a gun (which is not approved for PD), why not move to Standard Division (SD) and quit worrying whether any mods will be spoted or not.

Advantages of SD

1. Full magazine

2. Gun cocked and ready to fire (no DA first shot)

Disadvantages

1. Lower scoring (unless you use major 9mm ammo) (but then again if we don't get A's it's our fault :D )

If you still want the Shadow for PD and you really want an improved model, go for the Orange.Fully IPSC approved, fully tuned for PD and I thing similar price to the one you mentioned in your post.

Great post dimitri, but I just want to clear up you cannot shoot 9mm for major score in standard (limited) division. In standard the min calibre for major is 40 cal (357 sig is also accepted). Open division doesn't have that restriction.

• 3 years later...
On 7/4/2015 at 12:06 AM, bafsu92 said:

This is what I was thinking, I never shoot IPSC and my gun is legal in USPSA but I will be shooting the IPSC Nationals. I don't want to "cheat" but I'm not expecting to be in contention to win anything and really don't want to tear down one of my pistols and fit a sear for 1 match when it runs perfectly now. After installing the CZC hammer with the factory sear my safety would only engage at half cock. Rather than take the time to re-fit that sear it was much easier to drop-in a CGW adjustable sear. It doesn't provide any competitive advantage or change the trigger pull. My DA is still over 5# and the safety functions as it's supposed to. I could understand maybe if you won a match and they wanted to tear down and inspect the internals but for every shooter it seems a little nit-picky.

If you had to remove the sear and put a new one (the adjustable one), it would literally take few seconds to make it fit the new hammer 

• 2 months later...
On 9/27/2018 at 1:27 AM, ffgats said:

its not official yet because the new Rulebook havent been out. its now legal to upgrade the trigger internals  as long it stays 5lbs in double action.

Specifically:

15. The minimum trigger pull must either be 2.27kg (5lbs.) for the first shot fired and no restriction for subsequent shots fired, or 1.36kg (3lbs.) for every shot fired.

18.4 Aftermarket springs and trigger assemblies are permitted.

So, aftermarket trigger kits like Apex & Zev for the strikers are now legal...putting those shooting Tupperware who cannot afford those upgrades at even more of a disadvantage than they were before just against stock CZs and Tanfogs lol