Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Racing the clock

MrWallace

I've noticed a problem that I've been developing (or have had and just didn't know it?) where lately, I'll approach a stage with a good idea of how I want to run it, where my reloads are, etc... But then once the timer goes off, it seems like all I'm doing is trying to race the clock.

I can't figure it out and it's really frustrating! We used to have an old saying of "going through the motions" and it basically feels just like that. I know that I need to focus on getting my accuracy down and I think it's slowly getting better with practice, but I'm still frustrated.

Anyone have the same issue? Any one have any possible resolutions?

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed a problem that I've been developing (or have had and just didn't know it?) where lately, I'll approach a stage with a good idea of how I want to run it, where my reloads are, etc... But then once the timer goes off, it seems like all I'm doing is trying to race the clock.

Any one have any possible resolutions?

Yes. Stop doing that!

The two great seductions in this game are the clock and the targets. Neither of them has anything to do with your plan and performance of your plan. Your plan is about movement, transitions, and the front sight of the gun. To what ever degree you allow the clock and targets to enter your awareness, you're doing something other than what you planned to do during a stage.

Stop doing that.

Update on this, I've started to focus more on my walk through and sticking to my game plan. I forced myself to slow down during dry fire practice and it's helped a lot!

Thanks for the advice though, every little bit helps! Now if I can just get my transitions and foot work working together I'll be good!

I can't figure it out and it's really frustrating! We used to have an old saying of "going through the motions" and it basically feels just like that. I know that I need to focus on getting my accuracy down and I think it's slowly getting better with practice, but I'm still frustrated.

Anyone have the same issue? Any one have any possible resolutions?

I just posted this in a different thread in this forum.

The Set

With an empty gun, without drawing, assume your index position. Take a moment and move your attention slowly up from your waist, through your chest, then up into your head, out through your arms and into your grip. Notice and remember the calm feeling you have in your mind and face, and your perfect grip and arm tension. Remember your mind, face, arm, and grip tension as one calm feeling. Call the totality of the feeling "The Set."

(Assigning a name to a group of remembered feelings makes it easier to summon The Set on demand.)

Now without a start beep, summon the feeling of The Set, and draw to your index position, keeping all of your attention on the feeling on the feeling of The Set throughout the draw.

Repeat drawing to The Set over and over, until are completely certain of its total feeling, and complete confident in your ability to draw to The Set. Make that a part of your daily practice.

Especially important is being aware of a feeling of total nuetrality in your grip, which is remembered as one feeling.

Then take The Set to the practice range. Allow yourself not to work on any other skills until you know you are always shooting within The Set.

At "Shooter Ready," exhale slightly, at "Stand By," summon the feeling of The Set ... and this is the key ... along with the command to preserve the feeling of The Set right through the buzzer and the draw - until the first shot fires.

The further hone your ability to summon The Set by repeating the above at the beginning of each stage in every match.

If a stage has movement, train to summon The Set as you move into each new position.

Once my skill set was complete, summoning The Set was all I cared about.