Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nightforce DMR Championship

This looks great!

Will there be any up close paper targets (run & gun style) mixed in or will it be all purely long range steel 100-600 yards?

Also, it says we have to carry all equipment. Does that mean rifle slung and backpacks only? No 3-Gun carts?

The closest engagement last year was the Bianchi Mover at I think 100 yards or less. Several passes, two shots each.

The flavor of the match is more toward PRS shortened down for .223 class rifles. Most people are running magnified optics without a 1 power setting. That tends to make them not like to use the rifle as an up close carbine. I think it would be a great idea for a DMR match to include some up close work in addition to the 600 yard line mixed into one stage. We will see.

Be prepared to shoot from less than optimal positions like a strap between two small trees for support, any position but prone and so forth.

Stages last year had arrays to be engaged in order within a time (for example). If you passed on a target you could not go back. Some required an array to be engaged far to near and back out.

On carrying equipment. You had to carry your gear to the shooting position. There were times when seated with your backpack in your lap for support was the most stable position allowed. There is some opportunity for gaming that system from time to time. One match I walked up to a stage with three targets at 525-580 that required five hits each in order. Prone was not allowed and there was no support to use. Bring your kit to the line. I walked up with a cooler in one hand with shooting stick tri-pod. Buzzer goes off and I used the cooler for a stool and the sticks for a bench with a bag under my arm.............. Be ready for options and to learn tricks.

• 7 months later...

I can't find any equipment rules for this match, like is there a bonus for using .308's? Are bi-pods legal? What semi-auto classes will there be? What are the rules for each division? Will they be posting anything?

The PRS site has a little bit of info for bolt guns but nothing on pure semi-auto DMR matches like this one.