Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

coated vs cast

chetc

i have been shooting my 9mm cz 75b sa for the last 2 months, been shooting mainly all the coated brands 124 and 147gr tips. was shooting sunday at 25yds, was getting on the average 4 1/2" groups, so just about ready to call it a day, i had about 100 loaded 9mm ammo from 25yrs ago, they were Penn bullets 124 TCBB plain lead with 4.3 of w231 at an OAL of 1.080 to my surprise i nearly cut the group size in half, was it me ... has anyone experienced this, that the plain lead bullets work better than coated. going to load up some more, the coated load was the 124 BBI TC tip coated bullet with 4.2 of w231, the old loaded ammo had silver primers and i dont recall what brand they were, but lately all i have been using are the Winchester small pistol, i wonder what contributed to the accuracy was it the Penn bullet or the primer.

Chet

Edited by chetc

Cutting in half could be you.... can you duplicate it? On demand?

Some bullets with some powders and some at some COL are just the sweet spot.

I've shot multiple and repeated 1.3-1.75" groups at 25 yards with two different loads in my G34.

If I shoot multiple repeated 4" group with another load then it's the load.

Probably more data on your end is needed to verify but yes...that combo could just be it.

Edited by nwhpfan

I get tighter groups in my PPC revolvers with plain lead bullets with wax lube than I get with coated, but the difference is usually only a half inch or so. An outstanding load will do 1.25" at 50 yards, an acceptable load will do 2.25" in my K frames.

I am not experiencing any bad results with coated vs plain lead. I observe much less lead "smoke" with coated upon firing. Did not have good luck with TiteGroup powder. It burns really hot, hotter than most anything else I use, and seems to melt lead off the back of both coated and plain bullets. Other powders do not have this effect on coated.

Has anyone tried Winchester AA Lite with coated lead in 9mm? Any data to share for a 125 gr?